Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paputzback
Contributor III
Contributor III

Are sub applications handled outside the variable editor

I have to assume yes since the example folders do not appear in the variable editor.

So if I have my root application container as 2.QlikViewMonitoring, do I create my sub apps inside 2.QlikViewMonitoring\1.Application\ manually with windows explorer

• 2.QlikViewMonitoring\1.Application\1.Governance
  • 2.QlikViewMonitoring\1.Application\2.SystemMonitor
  • 2.QlikViewMonitoring\1.Application\3.DataProfiler

Or do I create the type in the full path in the variable editor as a new container Folder name = 2.QlikviewMonitoring\1.Application\3.DataProfiler and it magically creates the 3.DataProfiler folder inside of the 2.QlikViewMonitoring\1.Application folder?

Thanks,

Phil

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Exact! Mark this tread as answered please

Cheers

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Hi Phillip, yes you manually create the sub folders under Applications at the same time you create the app itself.

There is a function that can create folders if used, example: call createfolder('$(vG.QVDPath)\1.SalesData');

will create a 1.SalesData folder under 2.QVD in the same container as the app is resided.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

paputzback
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Is there a common way QV developers run these onetime use functions? e.g. I might open a dos window to run mkdir, not create a bat file to do it. Take your example, if 1.SalesData would be my first application in my 1.Sales container, where would I run the createfolder... to create the sub application 1.SalesData?

Thanks for the quick response.

Phil

Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

The first folder for your application you need to create manually, other folders that the application is using like subfolders under 2.QVD can be created using the createfolder function in the script. In this way the app will recreate it's needed structure every time you move it (application together with the manually created folder) to a new location. Hope that this helps. Best regards

Magnus

paputzback
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I am still confused on how you call the script outside of the QV designer. Or do I call the script from inside QV and delete the code when I am done. Kinda like making the QV designer my DOS window.

Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Don't really understand what you mean? All functions are loaded automatically during framework Initiation.

call createfolder('$(vG.QVDPath)\1.SalesData'); will first validate if the 1.SalesData folder exists, if not the folder will be created else it will skip, so you don't need to remove the line afterwards. Hope that this helps.

regards

Magnus

paputzback
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I think I get it now, I will always manually create my Sub Applications and once I create an application I can use the CreateFolder script to create the Sub QVD, or CONFIG... folders, but not the application folder itself.

For example, if in the 1.Example\1.Application folder I manually add a folder - 6.AdventureWorksExampleMartApp

And in the QVW for that app I would add the createfolder('$(vG.QVDPath)\6.AdventureWorks'); to generate folders.

I get that now.

Thanks,

Phil

Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Exact! Mark this tread as answered please

Cheers