Anonymous
Not applicable

Pivot in Script?

Is there a way to pivot in your script? I have the below:

ID      Name                Group                Address

1      John                NewYork                100 Center Ave

1      John                New Jersey              100 Center Ave

2      Adam              New York                900 Center Ave

3      Tiffany           Main                          123 Center Ave

What I would like to be able to do is Convert the Group Rows into Columns. I have about 40 of them and there will be more groups in the future and the name field could potentially be affliated to all groups.

Results:

ID      Name           NewYork           New Jersey           Main           Address

1           John                x                     x                                              100 Center Ave

2           Adam                                    x                                                  9 00 Center Ave

3           Tiffany                                                                  x                 123 Center Ave

I was thinking about ApplyMap function but I do not know if that would be the best approach and not really sure of the syntax for ApplyMap. Help would be appreciated as I'm fairly new to Qlikview, Thanks

[Final Table]:

Load

ID

,Name

,Group

, other columns...

10 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi John,

You need to use CROSSTABLE here:

CROSSTABLE (3, CityName, CityValue) LOAD *

FROM Excelfile....

3 means the number of columns you want to keep as such (ID, Name, Address)

CityName is the name of the columns (New York, New Jersey, Main)

CityValues is Y/N or whatever the value is (x, null, etc)

Miguel

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Not sure this is the correct answer. Is that the correct format for the Crosstable? I'm not getting a desired outcome

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

This is what I have so far...

[Final Table]:

CrossTable(Group,x,2)

LOAD  ID ,Name  ,Address       

RESIDENT

[temp];
DROP TABLE [temp]

oknotsen
Master III
Master III

Making a pivot table in the script is not possible. There is no such thing as a pivot table in your data model. All data will end up in "regular" tables.

The code examples they gave you are if you are trying to load data from a source file that is layout as a pivot table (aka cross table). To load those, use the example given.

After loading the data, the group column will be a dimension which you can than use in creating your pivot table in your front end.

Hope that clarifies it a bit.

May you live in interesting times!
Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

John,

If you use a pivot table and the expression below I believe you will get what you are looking for

=if(Count(ID) >= 1, 'X', ' ')

You will need to be on Qlik Sense 1.1 to use the pivot table.

-Josh

Qlik

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

Try Generic load or you can use Pivot table.

The Generic Load

Regards,

Jagan.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Solution: Thanks for the feedback everyone. It sounds like what I would like to do cannot my be created in Qlikview. I will create a seperate Pivot query in SQL and bring over and join to my data,

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

This is possible by using Generic load or you can try pivoting in SQL itself.  Refer this link below

The Generic Load

Regards

Jagan.

Not applicable
Author

I don't know why your answer wasn't flagged as the correct answer. I tried it an it worked beautifully.