Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Expressions loaded in inline table

Hello everyone,

I am creating a report where I am using the same sales expressions in many different tables.

I am loading an inline table with those expressions written in it as following:

What I don't know is how to actually proceed after that, in order to use those expressions in my pivots.

I have tested them separately, for example if I write in my pivot the expression

=SUM({$<MTD_Flag={1}>} Unit_Sales)

it gives the correct results.

What I want to do is retrieve the expression just by using the Pivot_Expr field name, so by switching between the Units and Net Sales or the different periods, I can automatically have the right results. Another reason for this is that those expressions are used in many places in my layout tables, so I would like to have them all in one place, for better future support.

I have tried writing as an expression in my pivot the $(=Pivot_Expr) but it doesn't give any results.

Could someone please help me with this?

Thanks in advance for your time

Best Regards,

Maria.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

i do this quite a bit for the same reasons you mentioned and also ease of maintenance...do you have a list box for the Analysis_Type and Period_Type? Unless there is only one possible value for Pivot_Expr, the chart will not output any results...see attached for an example (clear selections for F2 and see what happens).

View solution in original post

5 Replies
robert_mika
Master III
Master III

The "expression" are becoming part of your data not a part of calculation so you will not be able to use them this way.

If you do not want them to rewrite many times you can create a variable and then use it in your PT

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

i do this quite a bit for the same reasons you mentioned and also ease of maintenance...do you have a list box for the Analysis_Type and Period_Type? Unless there is only one possible value for Pivot_Expr, the chart will not output any results...see attached for an example (clear selections for F2 and see what happens).

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

don't use apostrophs in the inline statment.

it should look like this:

LOAD * INLINE [
Analysis Type, Period Type, Pivot_Expr
Units, Month To Date, =SUM({$<MTD_Flag={1}>} Unit_Sales)

Then the expression you used

$(=Pivot_Expr)

will work. But only one value in fields Analysis Type and Period Type can be chosen.

robert_mika
Master III
Master III

Are you sure?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

you don't need "=" sign in the expression definition in your table. if you do use it, then you wouldn't need "=" sign in the expression in the chart. you only need it once. may be the attachment in my post above will help.