Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

ODBC connection to Excel file

Hi,

can anyone please tell me what I have to do on my laptop to be able to establish an ODBC connection to an Excel file?

The file is encrypted, I know the password, but I cannot pass it to QlikView in a regular LOAD - but I have heard from @flipside that it should be possible using an ODBC connection.

That is not possible as yet - so i guess there is a driver missing or something. Unfortunately the guy from IT who was supposed to do this seems to know just as much about it as I do 😉 The difference is only that he would have the admin_rights required to do whatever he would have to do if he knew ...

Best regards,

DataNibbler

21 Replies
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Okay,

I'll try specifying the Password in the ODBC_connection, this will be used exclusively for that one file. There apparently is a "Password" function - at least, that word is recognized. I cannot find anything rgd. that in the help, though.

I have another app where there is a password - but that is a database and uses a 64-BIT driver.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Joe,

that thread is about an xlsb file. It doesn't really help me.

By now I have a way of connecting via ODBC to a workbook with the ending .xlsx and SELECT some data from that - but unless I can figure out how to pass the password to QlikView to open a protected workbook, that doesn't really help me do anything I couldn't do in another way ...

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

P.S.: I have found a thread in some Excel_expert_forum saying it cannot be done via ODBC, only with VBA using these lines

Dim xlApp As New Excel.Application
Dim xlWB As Excel.Workbook = xlApp.Workbooks.Open(Filename:="C:\Path\Filename.xls", Password:="password")

That was back in 2009, but if a macro would be a possibility, let's see. Only I don't know much VBA, not to mention VB_Script.