Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

aggr function performance problem

Hi,

I am hitting a strange performance issue with the app  I am working on and can not figure out why qlikview is performing the way it does. I have attached a sample application with a slice of my data. I have only included one expression in the sample app (the one with the issue).

Things start to get slow when I reload about 3M rows. By the time I load more data (~5M rows), the app just hangs  on the chart  (displaying the progress bar on the chart)  while calculating the following expression

=count(aggr(memb_id,memb_id, service_date_id, service_type))

when the app freezes, windows stops responding too and the only way out is a hard reboot. I am running this on a laptop with 8gig of ram, however, when i upload the app to our server (96gig memory) same problem is observed.

Please take a look and maybe someone can spot an issue. Does the aggr function just rolls over for larger data sets? I have used the aggr function in other apps but never have seen this qlikview perform like this.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

Try like this in script

Data:

load

autonumberhash256( memb_id & '_' &  service_date_id & '_' & service_type)  AS Key

memb_id,

service_date_id,

year,

month,

service_type,

amount,

cust_id,

location_type,

age,

cust_type

from

mydata.qvd

(qvd) where service_type  = '97001';

KeyCount:

LOAD

DISTINCT Key,

1 AS KeyCount

RESIDENT Data;

Now you can use Sum(KeyCount) as expression in your charts to calculate the key count.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Jagan.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

Change the expression as below

=SUM(Aggr(COUNT(memb_id),service_date_id,service_type))

terezagr
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Try to change the order of Aggr and Count in your expression like this:

Aggr(Count(memb_id),service_date_id,service_type)

terezagr
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

More about Aggr function and how to build it is here: Aggr() function

Not applicable
Author

But these two aggr function are not the same.

My expression:

count(aggr(memb_id,memb_id, service_date_id, service_type))

groups the records by the three dims and then provides a count of the groups (that's what I am looking for).

Your expression:

SUM(Aggr(COUNT(memb_id),service_date_id,service_type)

counts number of rows in each group and then gives me the sum of those counts, it essentially gives me the total number of rows in the data set which could be calculated simply by count(memb_id) as you can see in the attached qvw file.

Not applicable
Author

The expression you provided is incorrect and what it produces does not really need an aggr function. Please see my response to the previous poster.

MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

Dont understand the logic behind keeping same field twoce in aggr function...

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I'm not sure aggr() is the best approach to get this count. If you want the count of groupings, an expression that will probably run much faster is:

=Count(DISTINCT memb_id & service_date_id & service_type)

-Rob

http://masterssummit.com

http://robwunderlich.com

Not applicable
Author

my aggr expression is equivalent to this sql:

select count(*) from (select memb_id from sometable group by memb_id, service_date_id, service_type) as a

the inner select is the aggr function I have and the outer select is like the outer count around the aggr function.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Another way to write this in SQL would be:

select count(DISTINCT memb_id || service_date_id ||  service_type) from sometable

That is equivalent to the count(DISTINCT...) suggestion I made below.

-Rob