cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
athompsonhp
Contributor III
Contributor III

Qlik Sense not releasing memory after exiting

I have an evaluation copy of the Qlik Sense Hub.

The issue is when Qlik Sense is active and has loaded data the "Engine.exe" retains the memory even after closing the Hub.

I fully expected that the memory would be released.  Further it does not allow me to log off the Hub -- you have to close the "application" to exit the Hub.

Has anyone else experienced this memory retention after exiting?  Any idea how to resolve it?

8 Replies
Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

Hi Any,

Just for clarity, I'm assuming we are talking about a Qlik Sense server environment (not Qlik Sense Destkop).  I wouldn't expect Qlik Sense to release the memory when a user logs off.  It is designed to be on dedicated hardware so it is trying to optimize the experience for the users.  So when you log out it keeps the applications in memory until it needs the memory for something else.  That way if someone else comes along to use the same app then it is already loaded into the engine.  If someone else come in and opens a different app (and Qlik Sense needs the memory) it will drop the unused app out of memory.  I would expect a Qlik Sense environment to regularly run with much of the memory in use.

Josh

-Qlik

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

- Memory is not released if you close Hub, since Hub is just a client entry-point. Normal behaviour. Think about other clients coming to be served at the same time. It is keeping the memory to serve to other clients. You are just one client.

You have to stop Engine service if you want to release memory. 

- Logging off the Hub issue was explained as intended behaviour to me during Beta tests. Although I'm not convinced either.

BR

Serhan 

Not applicable

Hi Josh

Does QlikView follow the same behaviour ?

Best regards

Chris

Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

Yes it does Chris.

Not applicable

Thank you Josh

athompsonhp
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the clarification.

My purpose for Qlik Sense is more a Research & Development tool.  I can quickly spin up an application in Qlik Sense for troubleshooting and once the research is completed then close the Hub down.

With your comments about dedicated hardware raises some flags.  I need to run NPrinting, QlikView and Qlik Sense on the same server.  If Qlik Sense can potentially take all the memory then you can see issues are going to occur.  Further when I exit QlikView all memory is returned so Qlik Sense does not behave the same as QlikView.  Am I missing something here?

Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

Hi Andy,

I think we may be talking about different things.  I am talking about the server versions, it sounds like you may be using the desktop versions.  If you are using the local (aka desktop) versions then when you close them down they should release the memory.  Also you can run QlikView Developer and Qlik Sense Destkop on the same hardware (you cannot run the server version on the same hardware).

If you are choosing to only run one server at a time, installing Qlik Sense and QlikView on the same operating system is not supported (I do have reports of it working provided the services for each are not run at the same time).  I would recommend have a VM environment for each so you can spin them up as needed.

Does that help clarify it for you?

Josh

Qlik

athompsonhp
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Josh,

When I stated QlikView I meant QlikView Desktop.  So QlikView Desktop is installed on the Server along with Qlik Sense Hub.  I typically complete my development work using this "development environment".  This arrangement allows me quicker mash ups and reduces delivery times of QlikView applications.

With that all being said NPrinting will need memory to operate and it is my understanding that it needs to be on the same server as Qlik Sense.  As long as Qlik Sense releases memory if NPrinting needs it then I am good to go!