Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deepti_singh
Creator II
Creator II

Java in Qlik Sense

Hello,

I recently downloaded Qlik Sense and was told that I need to know some Java in order to access some features in Qlik Sense. I don't know anything about Java. I just wanted to ask how much of Java I should learn and for what purposes exactly in Qlik Sense.

Thank you.

Regards,

Deepti Singh

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If your requirement is to replicate features from QlikView that has no counterpart in Qlik Sense then yes - then JavaScript and HTML5 will be the right way to extend Qlik Sense.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

They probably meant JavaScript and not Java. JavaScript has been used to build very much of the Qlik Sense front-end along with HTML5 and JavaScript frameworks. You certainly don't need to know any JavaScript to make full use of Qlik Sense. However if you want to extend Qlik Sense JavaScript is certainly the way to go - but not for beginners. How much JavaScript? Well that depends on what you want to do - what you need to get as extra functionality. Basic JavaScript skills along with JavaScript frameworks and HTML5 is a start. Then look into the various API's that Qlik Sense supports for different purposes.

But rest assured that you don't need to learn any JavaScript at all to make very good use of Qlik Sense.

deepti_singh
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks Petter.

Is there a workaround for these type of requirements? Doesn't have to be JavaScript or HTML5.

1. Since there are no triggers in Qlik Sense, can I use JavaScript to introduce triggers in filter boxes?

2 Setting a particular font and style of the test.

3. Also the filter boxes don't have the facility to add images.

Thanks,

Deepti

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If your requirement is to replicate features from QlikView that has no counterpart in Qlik Sense then yes - then JavaScript and HTML5 will be the right way to extend Qlik Sense.

reddy-s
Master II
Master II

Hi Deepti,

As Petter has mentioned Java and HTML5 play a very important part. Along with this its a must you have good knowledge on making use of D3.js . You use D3 to build custom visualizations.

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Be aware that Java and JavaScript is two very different technologies and platforms. Unfortunately the similar names create this confusion very often...

StevenJDH
Employee
Employee

Hello all,

For those who are interested and want to experiment to learn, I've created an updated example for how to request a ticket via Java. This version is more adaptable with a number of improvements and has better clarity. The biggest change is that you can now also use the standard certificates that are exported from Qlik Sense without having to convert them to the Java KeyStore (*.jks) format. You can find the code here: https://github.com/StevenJDH/Qlik-Sense-Java-Examples