Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

QlikView_Management

Hi,

I have a question - that would probably be answered in a formal training for QlikView_administrators - which I don't have and am unlikely to get in this place ...

When something - sorry, I cannot say more - goes completely wrong, we have some massive server_trouble and someone from IT finds out that QlikView is in the server_event_logs as causing some critical error - we don't see anything specific in the usual task_logs and app_logs

=> What logs should we be looking into for checking the general functionality of QlikViewServer?

I have access to all the logs now - at least those generated by QVS.

I just want to be able to say "I have checked all I can and I have found nothing".

Can you give me any general tips on this?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
simsondevadoss
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Along with the QV server log. Check the Windows event viewer log also.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
marcus_sommer

Hi DataNibbler,

I would suggest that you read all logs (windows and qv) into a qv app and searched then to the timestamps with errors to see which entries from windows and qv log are connected. Maybe you need some rounding-adjustments or clustering on the timestamp then I'm not sure if connected items would be really an absolutely identical timestamp.

For the qv logs you could read the diverse log-files from the qv server-folder, maybe you could also use a qvd-store from these logs from the governance-dashboard. For the windows logs you could use the QvEventLogConnectorElaborate.exe from QVX SDK QVX SDK Instructions and also perfmon could be useful Processing Windows Perfmon Logs using QlikView.

Before make sure that all logging within qv and windows are enabled with an appropriate log-level. It will need some efforts to build such app in the long-term it might return more than these efforts. Maybe some others have already created such app?

Further the most of the errors aren't really critical - it will be conflicts to start/end services, find printers and similar - critical are most often ressources issues if qv takes to much of RAM and CPU so that essentials windows server are going down. If the server runs stable there shouldn't be much reason to concern.

- Marcus

simsondevadoss
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Along with the QV server log. Check the Windows event viewer log also.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

well, I guess I'll close this thread. I can build an app to check all the QlikView_Server logs - I already have an app reading a few of them to display the usage_structure of our QlikView_implementation.

I cannot read the Windows_event_logs on the server, I don't have access to those.

So I'm afraid there won't be much I can do about that in the future, just like it is now as I'm not sure the QlikView_serveer would report anything if the IT_guys notice a "critical error" of some kind - that is a rather grave malfunction I guess, so it would probably be an unforeseeable thing - and unforeseeable things are quite challenging to foresee in a program 😉

Best regards,

DataNibbler