Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

publish/distrubute qlikview file without a reload

Hi,

I have a qlikview document which is published to web through running a task in QMC. I am facing an issue and not able to resolve it. The issue is that if the Qlikview file is changed by a user and then I run the task without relaod, users are not able to view the qlikview file on the web. However, If I check the reload, then users are able to view the file on the web

Another thing that I just observed is that if the Qlikview file is changed by the same user/service account that is also running qlikview services and if I run the task without reload, the users are still able to view the file on the web. However, if the file is changed and saved by a different account/user than the service account, then we need to do a full reload in order for the users to view the file on the web. They cannot view the file if we run the task without reload and if the file is changed by another account

Please note that if a different user changes/saves the qlikview file, there is no change in the section access user table so we have logically the same user list in the document. The only difference is that it is saved by a different user and then we need a full reload on the QMC. Is there anyway to fix it so that if a user makes some minor change to the file, we dont need a full reload and only running the task without reload should suffice

Thanks

Shah

4 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

QVS: Small Business or Enterprise Edition?

Are you using a QlikView Publisher?

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

HI

It sounds like you are using section access with data reduction. The data reduction occurs when the user opens the document. If they change the document in the desktop client, modify it and save it, it will be saved with the reduced data only (the other data no longer exists in that copy).

I think the data reduction also strips other user names from the section access table. Therefore, other users will be unable to open the model or see their data until a full reload is performed by the service account.

You can remove data reduction, or limit users changes or live with the need to do a full reload. If you can make the users make changes to a copy of the file, this copy could be copied back to the portal by a super-user or an administrator who can trigger a server reload via EDX or directly from QMC after the copy.

HTH

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

Hi Jonathan,

Many thanks for your reply. This indeed looks like this is exactly what is happening. However, I have two more questions

1) After a user has done the changes and the admin account copies it back to the source documents, will it still require a full reload?

2) What if the changes are done by the super user/admin but that account is different than the Qlikview service account which is also an admin user in the qlikview document. Do we still need to make the changes in the copy of the file and then copy it back to the source documents/portal?

Shah

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

It doesn't matter in what order the changes are done or who saves the document to the server, the rules are very simple:

• As soon as someone with Role = USER opens and saves the document in QV Desktop, all data including the SA data is reduced. No super user/admin can magically restore the contents of the document without a reload.
  • As long as anyone with role = ADMIN opens and saves your document in QV Desktop, nothing is lost. The SA data will remain and there won't be any data reduction, if the ADMIN user has an empty link field.

IMHO reloading a document whenever you publish a new version is the best approach. This approach even allows you to omit security in the developer zone, and include it on the server only.