Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using accumulation in expressions

I have got a list of items sold at a certain price and volume (#units), resulting in the corresponding revenue (price * units, see e.g. first table).

Now I would like to calculate the price level where the accumulated revenue (running total) is at least 20% of the total revenue. (which is “price = 9” in the example, see second table). I need this value for further visualizations.

At the moment I am struggling to calculate the accumulated revenue and use it inside an expression (formula).

table3.jpgtable4.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristofSchwarz
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

This is a tricky one ...

You need a new field in the data model that lists all distinct values of prices SORTED!

LOAD DISTINCT

Price, Price AS PriceSorted

RESIDENT data

ORDER BY Price;

Then you can use the following set-modifier to refer to the middle cumulated 60% (>=20%, <=80%) according to revenue (Price * Units):

<PriceSorted = {

"=Aggr( RangeSum(Sum(Units * Price) / Sum(TOTAL Units * Price), Above(Column(1))) ,PriceSorted) > 0.2

AND Aggr( RangeSum(Sum(Units * Price) / Sum(TOTAL Units * Price), Above(Column(1))) ,PriceSorted) < 0.8"

}>

Ideally, save this into a variable and refer to it wherever needed:

• In a grand total in a text box
  • Select the middle 60% prices
  • Name the upper / lower prices within that middle 60% range

(No need for macro, no need for alternate state, always recalculating relative to your selection.)

See attached file

View solution in original post

5 Replies
sunny_talwar

Somehow I am unable to understand the link between your first table and your second table. Item 1 priced 10 and 18 units are sold. But in your second table you are showing Sum(Revenue) = 9? Can you help me understand what is the link between the above two tables?

Best,

S

Not applicable
Author

Table 2 shows the revenue generated with all items at a certain price level, e.g. for price = 1 we have revenue = 9 (item15), for price = 6  we have revnue = 48 + 18 + 114 = 180 (item4 + item6 + item17). Price is taken as a dimension in that case.

ChristofSchwarz
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

This is a tricky one ...

You need a new field in the data model that lists all distinct values of prices SORTED!

LOAD DISTINCT

Price, Price AS PriceSorted

RESIDENT data

ORDER BY Price;

Then you can use the following set-modifier to refer to the middle cumulated 60% (>=20%, <=80%) according to revenue (Price * Units):

<PriceSorted = {

"=Aggr( RangeSum(Sum(Units * Price) / Sum(TOTAL Units * Price), Above(Column(1))) ,PriceSorted) > 0.2

AND Aggr( RangeSum(Sum(Units * Price) / Sum(TOTAL Units * Price), Above(Column(1))) ,PriceSorted) < 0.8"

}>

Ideally, save this into a variable and refer to it wherever needed:

• In a grand total in a text box
  • Select the middle 60% prices
  • Name the upper / lower prices within that middle 60% range

(No need for macro, no need for alternate state, always recalculating relative to your selection.)

See attached file

Not applicable
Author

Thanks again for your effort and the solution! Good to see that inter-record functions also work inside AGGR.

Matthias_Herkommer

Here's my example app where I combined the solution concepts mentioned above into a single app with dynamic thresholds (configurable via slider and input box) including a calculated dimension to reflect the price groups (similar to ABC / Pareto analyses). !

Pareto_View&amp;Select.PNG