cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jochem_zw
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

Map and KML question

Why does the attached KML load as the screenshot, i want the field gemname instead of the P1

Untitled.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Patrik_Lundblad
Employee
Employee

In QGIS there is a field for export to KML that you need to fill in.

It's called NameField and as a standard it has the value "Name". You need to change that value to the name of the column that you want from the shape file. Then the KML file will have a <name> tag inside with the value you want.

NameField.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Not applicable

Hi Jochem,

I had a similar issue some months ago. It had to do with the formatting of the KML itself. Please review the process you are using to generate the KML. It may be different format with a KML extension and is not properly formatted for KML.

Good Luck,

Arun

Patrik_Lundblad
Employee
Employee

Hi Jochem,

In your KML file there is no name for the area, hence p1 is automatically assigned.

If you open up your KML in a texteditor you can add in the line <name>Gemname</name> after the Placemark> tag.

KML edit.png

jochem_zw
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Hi Patrick,

thnx i see this is the problem.

What i did is open a ESRI shape file in QGIS and exported to KML

QGIS created the file as displayed only much bigger (5Mb). Is there a tool from Qlik, or other tool, which can do this better because now i have to manually edit the file to add all the Municipality (Gemname) names.

Patrik_Lundblad
Employee
Employee

In QGIS there is a field for export to KML that you need to fill in.

It's called NameField and as a standard it has the value "Name". You need to change that value to the name of the column that you want from the shape file. Then the KML file will have a <name> tag inside with the value you want.

NameField.png

jochem_zw
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

That did the trick!