Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Bar Chart hang when include single quotation mark in QDF Variable for Set Analysis

I have tried to use the QDF variables editor as a base for my applications variables. It works fine when variable values doesn't include the single quotation mark, but when I include it as required for set analysis it hangs the chart as below:

1. create a variable value as below

Variable NameVariable Value
Set v_SaleOfAsum(sales)

2. add the var name to expression of a chart (example bar chat). $(v_SaleOfA)

3. Modify the variable with some set analysis that contain single quotation mark as below:

Variable NameVariable Value
Set v_SaleOfAsum({<prod = {'A'}>}sales)

4. Update the variables and reload the application to see the changes on the chart.

5. remove the set analysis OR modify the set analysis with more rules.

6. Update the variables from QDF and reload the application.

7. The chart that using this variable name is not effected by the changes. It actually hangs and doesn't response to any changes in its properties. even thought he variable value changes correctly under Settings Variables Overview the chart still not responding.

I might doing something wrong here but this what I have get. Your help, advice and guide on how to use set analysis in QVD variables will be much appreciated.

Ahmed

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi Magnus,

It looks the problem solved by updating Qlikview Desktop from SR6 to SR10.

I have tested the variable in the script and worked fine. I move the variable to the QDF and repeated the same scenario I explained and it worked just perfectly. NO chart hang..

The issue is not exist any more..

Thanks for your help and support.

Ahmed

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Hi Ahmed, one question: Does the script hang when loading, do you see the v_SalesOfA variable in Variable Overview? Or does the graph itself hang after the load?

Best regards

Magnus

Not applicable
Author

Hi Magnus,

The script loading successfully in both applications; Update Variables from the variable editor and Script reload on the target application. I can see the variable change value in the application's variables overview. But what happening is only the graph itself got hanged after reload.

If I close the application and open it again, the graph will pick up the changes.

When the graph hangs, I can still open its properties, add dimensions, change the expression but these changes never apply on the graph!!

Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Strange, then it seem to be a QlikView problem not something in QDF. If you replace the QDF generared variable with one created in Variable Editor do you get the same problem?

Cheers

Not applicable
Author

Hi Magnus,

When the chart hangs it doesn't response to any changes..i have either delete it or close and open QlikView.  however, if I repeat the same scenario above with variables created in QlikView variable Editor (not via qdf) the chart works just perfectly and response to all changes..

if you want I can share a short video with you or we share screen to see the issue..

Ahmed

Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

That's really strange. Have you tried adding the variable in your Qlik script Set v_SaleOfA=sum({<prod = {'A'}>}sales;

and see if that also works? In QDF we are doing the same thing. If this work my only idea is that there are char codes in the expression that Qlik don't like, they look similar, but they are not.

Cheers

Magnus

Not applicable
Author

Please find the attached screen record shows the issue of chart hangs when the variable updated via QDF.

During this video I have created a variable and use it in the chart, I updated the variable and show the effect on the charts. I have changed the properties of the hanged charts and shows how there was no affect on the chart by all means.

Please advice if I'm doing anything wrong.

Video Link : 2935

Not applicable
Author

Hi Magnus,

It looks the problem solved by updating Qlikview Desktop from SR6 to SR10.

I have tested the variable in the script and worked fine. I move the variable to the QDF and repeated the same scenario I explained and it worked just perfectly. NO chart hang..

The issue is not exist any more..

Thanks for your help and support.

Ahmed

Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Sounds great Ahmed, mark this tread as Answered

Regards

Magnus