Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ordre
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

HP Gen9 Server

Dear All,

Do you have any chance to test or run QlikView on HP gen9 server? We have been prefering HP gen 8 servers. But now I wonder Gen9 performans and compliance with QlikView. I think using gen9  will not have critical issue, but I want to be sure if you have any surprising issue on Gen 9.

The only inportant specification on Gen 9, I think it is supported intel e5 v3 cpu family.

Any comment will be great?

HP ProLiant DL380 Gen9 Server

Thnks

Emre

21 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Emre,

The Gen9 of HP 380 will perform very well since they upgraded the hardware to accommodate v3 of Intel Xeon E5 processors. Most of 26XX that were supported in v1 are also supported in v2 and v3, like the 2690, 2660, 2667 and 2670.

The features that did these CPUs work very well are there and have been improved (number of cores, clock cycles, cache and RAM, QPI) so I would only expect G9/v3 to perform even bette, since the basics that made them fit for QlikView (like SUMA, bridges, QPI and so) are still in place or also enhanced.

Miguel

Not applicable

Hi Emre,

Use the below Blog to get an idea on Qlikview application server compatibility

http://community.qlik.com/thread/126460

ordre
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Hi Miguel,

I think the cpus below are the best fit for Gen9 and QlikView considering both clock speed and # of cores.

Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2667 v3 (20M Cache, 3.20 GHz) (8 cores)

Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2687W v3 (25M Cache, 3.10 GHz) (10 cores)

Thank you for prompt answer.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Emre,

I would go for the E5-2667 v3 since it is the more frequency optimized of both. It has less cores, but that means that it can take better advantage of the 9.6 GT/s QPI, that has only one ring for all the cores. The 2687W has more power consumption because of more cores, but a slower QPI ring with 8 GT/s.

If you want to use NUMA for whatever reason (QlikView is not one of them, but anyway), then go for the 2687W.

Along with some nice DDR4 2133 MHz RAM, that could be just great!

Miguel

ordre
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador
Author

Hi Miguel,

Considering your choice, 6 cores Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2643 v3 (20M Cache, 3.40 GHz) will be greater than E5-2667 v3?:)

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Emre,

I'd rather stick to the 8 cores E5-2667 v3. The QPI ring is good enough to keep all cores running and handling well.

Miguel

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just posted an update my search is over!

Anonymous
Not applicable

this is what we ended up getting and I am really happy with it. We also tried 4P DL580 beast and QV could not use all the power of it and it was 4 times slower than our Gen7 E5-2667.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

The HP DL580 is a beast, for QlikView you will only appreciate the performance with the E7-4870 (v1 and v2) and 4890 v2 (in case of G8) because they are part of the few only in the E7 family to have a mesh QPI bonding all cores in their CPUs therefore full access to memory modules.