Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Buffer (incremental) load: cannot find .qvd file

I'm trying to find out how 'BUFFER (incremental)' load works. I'm using the statement below to load data from a text file:

HourOverview:
BUFFER (Incremental)
LOAD
@1 as Time,
@2 as Category,
@3 as Activity
FROM
uur.log
(txt, codepage is 1252, no labels, delimiter is '\t', msq) ;

The data is loaded fine, but I would expect that a .QVD file was created in the default location (in my case C:\Documents and Settings\ddoord\Application Data\QlikTech\QlikView). However, there are no .QVD files in that folder (or any folder below). Are there some limitations on that I'm not aware of?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi Rob,

Thank you for checking!

As your help indicated that the script was correct, I've finally figured out the problem: I've searched in the wrong location. It shouldn't have been C:\Documents and Settings\ddoord\Application Data\QlikTech\QlikView but
C:\Documents and Settings\ddoord\Local Settings\Application Data\QlikTech\QlikView\Buffers. As it is a hidden directory, a windows search delivered no results with the standard search settings on!

Kind regards,

Daniel

View solution in original post

3 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Your sample works fine for me on QV9 SR4. I get a QVD created in the buffer loacation.

-Rob

wizardo
Creator III
Creator III

hmmm have you checked the settings:

this is from the inside qlikvie help:

QVD buffers will normally be removed when no longer referenced anywhere throughout a complete script execution in the document that created it or when the document that created it no longer exists. This housekeeping can be turned off by checking the options Keep Unreferenced QVD Buffers in Document Properties: General (first requirement) and Keep Orphaned QVD Buffers in User Preferences: General (second requirement) property pages respectively, though the procedure cannot be generally recommended.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Rob,

Thank you for checking!

As your help indicated that the script was correct, I've finally figured out the problem: I've searched in the wrong location. It shouldn't have been C:\Documents and Settings\ddoord\Application Data\QlikTech\QlikView but
C:\Documents and Settings\ddoord\Local Settings\Application Data\QlikTech\QlikView\Buffers. As it is a hidden directory, a windows search delivered no results with the standard search settings on!

Kind regards,

Daniel