Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

ODBC Connection - You do not have access to the data source

I'm using an ODBC connection successfully with QlikSense Desktop.

However, I've recently set up a QlikSense server. I'm attempting to connect to the same source, but I am getting the error message "You do not have access to the data source".

To confirm, I am using the system DSN and 64-bit version of the connector. Any help would be appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Sent a solution from Qlik. Need to disable the standard mode on the QMC > Engines > Central Engine > Edit > Advanced (see Standard mode checkbox at the bottom - untick and restart Engines service).

This means however that you are not able to restrict access to the Data source you create to only some of the users, which makes it a potentially unworkable solution.

Regards,

Jonathan

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Have you uploaded the QVF app using the ODBC connector via Import in the QMC? I so, you should see the Data Connection under the Data Connections section in the QMC.

You can also manually add the Data Connection before creating any app so users would be able to use it when creating apps.

But obviously, for both of these methods, you need to create the ODBC in the Qlik Sense server.

Not applicable
Author

So far

1)  I've created a new app in my Qlik Sense Hub and in the Data Load Editor I've attempted to create a new ODBC connection. When I do this I get the error "You do not have access to the data source".

2) And, I've tried importing my Qlik Sense Desktop app that has a successful ODBC connection to the Qlik Sense Server through the QMC. I now see my ODBC connection in my list of connectors, but I am not able to select any data  and when I edit the connection I get the same error.

Not applicable
Author

Does this ODBC driver need to authenticate using a NT user?

What you can do is, once you imported the QVF via the Apps section in the QMC, you can try to create the ODBC in the Server with the same DSN name and the same configuration as you did in your machine. What is happening is that you are referring to a DSN in Qlik Sense which still doesn't exist in the OS.

Not applicable
Author

My ODBC Connector does use a windows NT authentication using the network login ID.

I see the connection I created in QMC. It has all the same information as the one on my machine. I don't know how to proceed.

Not applicable
Author

Even though the Data Connection is created and you can see it in the QMC, the DSN has to have been already created in the Server.

So, try to edit the DSNs in the Server by using the ODBC Data Source Administrator tool in Windows and create the DSN following the same steps you did when you created the DSN in your machine.

Also, if the DSN uses NT authentication to connect to the database, be sure the user running the Qlik Sense services is authorized to connect to the database (like the NT user in your machine).

To sum up (and as I understand, this might be the situation):

In your machine you have:

• A NT user that is able to connect to the database.
  • A DSN created in the System to connect to the database.
  • A Qlik Sense app which uses this (DSN).

In the Qlik Sense server you have:

• ? A NT user that is able to connect to the database.
  • ? A DSN created in the System to connect to the database.
  • A Qlik Sense app which uses this (DSN).
  • A Data Connection in the QMC using that DSN.
Not applicable
Author

Thank you for response!

Would it matter if the user running the Qlik Sense services is the same as the NT user on my machine?

Not applicable
Author

If that is the case, I guess that if you create the DSN in the server using that same NT user, the DSN should work and therefore you should be able to use the Data Connection.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I also have this error occurring when trying to connect to Teradata 15 from the Qlik Sense platform. Ihave not tried this from Qlik Sense Desktop as I don't have a 64-bit client machine available.

Steps I have taken are:

1. configured both 32 and 64 bit ODBC connections

- with the required username and password. This is not NT windows based (i,e not sourced from Active Directory)

2. tested that the Teradata SQL Assistant connects using the 32 bit version ODBC connection.

3. tried to create a new data connection from within the Create New Connection (ODBC) dialogue window

- tried creating both 32 and 64 bit ODBC connections.

- tried including the username and password, and without including

Thanks,

Jonathan

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I am facing the same issue, I would appreciate, could any one suggest the solution to resolve this issue.

thanks in advance.