Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlik Sense 1.1 - long connect times with Direct Query

Hi,

I'm experiencing extremely long connect times using Direct Query and I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for improving performance.

I'm using Qlik Sense 1.1 connecting to an Amazon RDS database. Because the table I want to read is so big (100 million plus rows), I'm using Direct Query (in-memory won't work for me). It's taking 12 minutes for my load script to get to the point where it's reading in fields. There's a big delay before each field is loading too - 4 to 5 minutes before the field is loaded. On the same machine, I'm using SQL directly and I'm getting data back in a fraction of that time.

Here's my load script.

LIB CONNECT TO 'RDS';

Trace Name of table;

[Name of table]:

DIRECT QUERY

dimension

key_field_id,

`field_id2`,

`field_id3`,

value

FROM `database`.`table`;

Anyone got any ideas for why it's taking 12 minutes before I'm seeing data being read in? Any idea why there's a delay of 4 to 5 minutes before each field is read in?

1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

You can try connection pooling. When a connection to a database is made a new connection is made and destroyed every time a user connects and disconnects.

Database service provider can implement a pooling technique that can allow  multiple connection objects from a resource pool to be shared transparently among the requesting clients. Basically, connections are not destroyed but are released after use into a pool of connections.

The load script syntax to setup the pooling capability is as follows:

SET DirectConnectionMax=10;

The default setting is 1.