Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to reload a QlikSense application by command line ?

Hi,

To reload a qlikview application, I use the following command line :

call "c:\program files\qlikview\qv.exe" /R "Path\FileName.qvw"

Now, I want to do the same thing with a qliksense application. So, I'm looking for a way to reload a qliksense application (qvf file).

Thanks,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Yes you can. Qlik Sense Desktop has the same base QlikEngine as the server product. The API's are the same when it comes to all that is not specifically server related.

You can achieve reload from any application that supports WebSockets and JSON which is needed to use the API. You can even make a Web Browser application - essentially as simple as a single web-page that calls on the API - since modern browsers support all the requirements of this API.

To get familiar with the API there is a simple but brilliant "Protocol Tester" application included where you can test these different API-calls. I did a test out of curiosity earlier this morning doing a reload - and it works very well. My computer is the cheapest Microsoft Surface Pro 3 with only Qlik Sense Desktop installed and via the "Protocol Tester" I did a reload of a simple Qlik Sense Desktop app I made in just a few minutes.

So a Qlik Sense - special application - which make use of Qlik Sense API's can be made with:

- Pure JavaScript running in a modern browser.

- A JavaScript framework of some sort - there are literally hundreds of them  and dozens of high-quality ones.

- A .NET program written in any .NET language (dozens or more of them too) which use an up to date .NET Framework - 4.5 or higher. So even Microsofts PowerShell could be used. But most would prefer VB.NET or C#. It does not have to be browser based as long as it supports WebSockets and JSON.

- Python, Ruby, Lua, C, C++ .... all the major and most of the minor programming languages directly or via libraries has the necessary support nowadays.

- Java

This list is not complete

The down-side is that it requires much more knowledge and experience with programming concepts and a lot more time. If reload is all you want to do it might be a bit off-putting and the API a bit intimidating. But at the end of the day or end of the month you will have a fantastic toolbox at your hands to extend Qlik Sense in ways you never imagined.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

32 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

There is no command line parameters to do a reload with the regular Qlik Sense Desktop. You might however be able to write a PowerShell script that use the .NET API to do the reload for you by using the Reload method of the App class.

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Hasnam

Thanks for your question - just to be clear - are you using Qlik Sense Server or Qlik Sense Desktop? I am just curious. There isn't an command line option for either - but ... with Qlik Sense Server, as Petter, has mentioned in may be possible with the APIs.

Please update us and let us know how you do.

Please mark the appropriate replies correct / helpful so our team and other members know that your question has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

I use QlikSense Destkop. So, I can't reload my application by a .NET program or something else?

Regards,

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Yes you can. Qlik Sense Desktop has the same base QlikEngine as the server product. The API's are the same when it comes to all that is not specifically server related.

You can achieve reload from any application that supports WebSockets and JSON which is needed to use the API. You can even make a Web Browser application - essentially as simple as a single web-page that calls on the API - since modern browsers support all the requirements of this API.

To get familiar with the API there is a simple but brilliant "Protocol Tester" application included where you can test these different API-calls. I did a test out of curiosity earlier this morning doing a reload - and it works very well. My computer is the cheapest Microsoft Surface Pro 3 with only Qlik Sense Desktop installed and via the "Protocol Tester" I did a reload of a simple Qlik Sense Desktop app I made in just a few minutes.

So a Qlik Sense - special application - which make use of Qlik Sense API's can be made with:

- Pure JavaScript running in a modern browser.

- A JavaScript framework of some sort - there are literally hundreds of them  and dozens of high-quality ones.

- A .NET program written in any .NET language (dozens or more of them too) which use an up to date .NET Framework - 4.5 or higher. So even Microsofts PowerShell could be used. But most would prefer VB.NET or C#. It does not have to be browser based as long as it supports WebSockets and JSON.

- Python, Ruby, Lua, C, C++ .... all the major and most of the minor programming languages directly or via libraries has the necessary support nowadays.

- Java

This list is not complete

The down-side is that it requires much more knowledge and experience with programming concepts and a lot more time. If reload is all you want to do it might be a bit off-putting and the API a bit intimidating. But at the end of the day or end of the month you will have a fantastic toolbox at your hands to extend Qlik Sense in ways you never imagined.

Hope this helps

Not applicable
Author

Hi Petter,

Thank you for your answer. I'm a C# .NET developer. So, I'm going to use Qlik Sense API to reload my app.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

I'm looking for the Qlik Sense .NET SDK for download but I'm afraid that this product is not free !

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

really ... I thought it was ... I will check it up

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Guys - that was my thought initially - the JavaScript APIs for mash ups and extensions are available with Desktop, they are part of the product libraries etc - but not the .NET SDKs.

I'll verify.

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik