Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlik Sense does not sort "stacked" bar chart correctly?!

I try to display active requisitions by recruiters and different steps of the recruiting process. I am using Qlik Sense desktop version 1.1.0+, build 31.QSMS10-CIGS. Here are my steps:

1. Add a bar chart.

2. Add "active requisition" measure.

3. Add "recruiter" dimension. The resulting dimension is enclosed below. So far, the chart is correct.

Capture.PNG

4. Now, I drag "step of candidate", click "add" to add it as the second dimension, and select "stacked bar chart" presentation. Here is the chart I got.

Capture.PNG

5. Here is the problem #1. If I try to drag "Total Active Requisitions" over or above "Recruiter", I cannot make "Total Active Requisitions" as priority 1 for sorting.

Capture.PNG

6. Problem #2: If I change "Recruiter" to custom sorting, and add the expression of "Total Active Requisitions" as a descending condition, the bar chart is still not sorted correctly. I expect the bar chart to be sorted in descending order of the total active requisitions by recruiters.

Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

How do I make this work in Qlik Sense?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

I figure out the source of the problem. The measure of my chart is

Count(Distinct {<[Status of Candidate]-={'Completed'}>} Key_Requisition_Candidate)

The expression of my sort is

Count({<[Status of Candidate]-={'Completed'}>} Key_Requisition_Candidate)

This is why the sorting is not working as expected. I wish Qlik Sense has a way to drag my measure and drop to the sorting expression to avoid the problem. Because I have to type the sorting expression manually, I missed the "distinct" in my expression. So, Qlik Sense is working as expected.

Thank you all for your feedback.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

You need to switch the sorting of the first dimension from Auto to custom

Then select expression

And enter an expression that aggregates the measure by the 1st dimension

In the sample below:

Dim1:  Country

Dim2: City

Measure:  sum(Sales)

Sort expression for Dim1:  sum( total <Country> Sales)

Capture.PNG

Not applicable
Author

I try something similar to yours. In my data, "Distinct" would be more appropriate than "Total". Besides, I need the chart to work with other filters selected, not ignoring them, so I cannot use "Total".

It temporarily solves the problem, if I add "Distinct" to my expression as

Count(Distinct {<[Status of Candidate]-={'Completed'}>} Key_Requisition_Candidate)

But, if I removed "Distinct" in the expression as

the problem shows up again.

Why the distinct/total modifier makes a difference here, if Qlik Sense should sort bars based on the values calculated no matter what formula we use? Qlik Sense does not seem to respect the calculated values, when distinct/total modifier is not used, when set analysis is involved.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

I think you're misunderstanding what TOTAL does. Adding TOTAL <recruiter> to your expression will make it calculate the count values at the level of the recruiter dimension instead of at the level of the combination of the two dimensions {recruiter,step of candidate}.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

I figure out the source of the problem. The measure of my chart is

The expression of my sort is

This is why the sorting is not working as expected. I wish Qlik Sense has a way to drag my measure and drop to the sorting expression to avoid the problem. Because I have to type the sorting expression manually, I missed the "distinct" in my expression. So, Qlik Sense is working as expected.

Thank you all for your feedback.

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

Agree with Gysbert.  The <Total> is an instruction to determine the LEVEL of aggregation , it doesn't change the actual aggegation function ( count) that is being used.

Like this:

Count( total <recruiter>  Distinct {<[Status of Candidate]-={'Completed'}>} Key_Requisition_Candidate)