Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Change sorting_order of a dimension_field acc. to mapping_text?

Hi,

I have a barchart where the dimension is a numeric field.

That is of course sorted alphabetically and ascending (by default, anyway).

<=> Those numbers are mapped to a text (a target country, that is) in an n:1 manner (several numbers are assigned to different places in the same country)

=> How could I change the sorting so that those numeric values which are mapped to the same target_country appear next to each other, regardless of their own value?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

It works.

Very similar to your approach. At least I think so.

I thought it might be possible without the need for an extra table in the data_model, but apparently not. Now I have just done a RESIDENT and assigned a number to every country there is and linked that small table to my fact_table and sorted by that using the edit_field on the "sort" tab.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

View solution in original post

5 Replies
anbu1984
Master III
Master III

Check this app

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Thanks!

That doesn't seem to work, though.

I have ticked the checkbox to sort by a formula, selected "ascending" and typed in the name of the field where I have the mapping_text.

Still, not all of the numeric values which are mapped to the same country are beside each other ...

I'll try using a second dimension or making a second mapping_table by DISTINCT loading the countries from the mapping_file and generating an ID using rowNo() or so.

anbu1984
Master III
Master III

Did you try with Autonumber() on Target country and use that field in Sort like in my app?

AutoNumber(ApplyMap('Map',ID)) As Ctry

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

not directly, but I think it should be fairly similar in my case: I have in fact already mapped that numeric value against a text in the first step (that app is split into two qvw's so developing is a bit faster and easier).

The result of that mapping is a field "Country". That field is what I want to sort by.

So I entered that fieldname in the "formula" edit_field on the "sort" tab. Doesn't work for whatever reason.

I'm just trying with a sorting_field that I can generate by DISTINCT loading the values from the mapping_file or from the table itself.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

It works.

Very similar to your approach. At least I think so.

I thought it might be possible without the need for an extra table in the data_model, but apparently not. Now I have just done a RESIDENT and assigned a number to every country there is and linked that small table to my fact_table and sorted by that using the edit_field on the "sort" tab.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler