Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using values of hidden column

Hello everyone.

So, I have a straight table with a hidden column that can be shown just by clicking a button.

My problem is: is there a way to continue using the values of that column when she is hidden? Because I'm using column(1) when she is being shown so I can use her values, but when I hide her, the column(1) changes to another column.

Is there a way to do that?

Thanks

20 Replies
sunny_talwar

Petter Skjolden‌, please check this, this isn't working (PFA)

Best,

Sunny

sunny_talwar

abbaldantry and see if this helps? Created two Sum columns (one is conditional) and the other is hidden from the presentation tab. You can use the hidden from the presentation tab to refer in your other  expression.

May not be ideal, but it works.

Best,

Sunny

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

ACTUALLY GUYS ...

There is some confusion here since we are referring to two different ways of hiding a column:

1) Hide the Expression in the Expression Tab with a Conditional

2) Hide the Column in the Presentation Tab with a Conditional

#1 will not let you refer to anything while it is actually not hidden - but removed as a calculation completely

#2 will let you refer to it since it is only hidden from view but still calculated. So referring to it by name is still possible

Not applicable
Author

Well, I tried switching my conditional from expression tab to presentation tab, and I still can't use the hidden column, I dont know why

sunny_talwar

Did you look at the sample qvw I posted above? Re: Using values of hidden column

Not applicable
Author

Yes, I tried to replicate your logic but still didn't work for me. One thing that I noticed is when I try to use my expression name, the name isn't blue like always is when you refeer to a expression by name, when I refeer my hidden column by name, the name is red, [Area] -> Area is red and not blue.

Maybe there is a problem and I'm not noticing, I dont know.

sunny_talwar

Do you have a field name which has the same name as the label? If you do then instead of picking the label name, QV will pick the field name. To avoid this, you can do two things:

1. Rename your label to something like Area! and then use this in your next expression [Area!]
  2. Use the Column() function instead of the label name (but this could get tricky when you have conditional hide and show for columns above the one your are referring to, in which case you will have to use if statements)

So I would suggest going with the 1st options unless renaming the label is not an option.

HTH

Best,

Sunny

Not applicable
Author

I have a dimension named Area, and I should tell you guys that my columns who calculates Area only works when I have that dimension, I tried removing her but then all values about Area disappear.

What I need is to pass all values that are in the column Area (when she is not hidden) to a field and then calculate my avg(sales) only on these Areas, so I need to use her when she is hidden.

I tried rename like you said but still can't use her when she is hidden, I dont get any value as return.

Not applicable
Author

I don't know if that matter, but this is my formula that I'm hiding or showing:

if(count(DISTINCT if(Area= Area2, Area) ) >0, Area)

I tried to hide other expressions and use them when they were hidden, and I manage to use them even hidden, but when I try to use the column with that formula above, simply isn't working.

Is there a problem with that formula?

sunny_talwar

What would be more useful is, if you can share your application after hiding/masking your key fields so that one of us can show you how exactly it can be done.

Best,

Sunny