Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

regarding maps

Hi..

I quickly need some help in maps because I am have presentation tomorrow.

My Question is:

we want to use maps for the locations of the hospitals and patients using latitude, longitude or Zip code, but when we trying to add or create dimensions it is showing us an error about some visualization.We have tried to resolve the error by seeing the video that's there in demo session but it did not work out.

So could anyone assist us in resolving that or is their any live chart option so that i can chat with them and resolve the problem. Please reply as soon as possible.

I am also attaching the screen shots please look at it and I am hoping that I could get the answer.

Thank you,

Alekhya

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

your .qvf did not attach - but see my attached .qvf with everything working.

Note this worked for me immediately without having to do anything with the data. Only because I assume the xls file was an export?

I assume you are getting your data from another source and this .xls file is not the original and just a sample?

You can force the Lat and Long to be numeric like this:

GeoMakePoint(num#(latitude),num#(longitude)) as LocationKey,

num#() - converts the type to numeric.

Is this what you are after? (click images to enlarge)

Note I use primary_city as my dimension.

LOAD

zip,

primary_city,

state,

county,

GeoMakePoint(latitude,longitude) as LocationKey,

country

//"[Latitude Longitude]"

FROM [lib://Downloads/sample dsis.xlsx]

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Location);

OR in your case:

LOAD

zip,

primary_city,

state,

county,

GeoMakePoint(#num(latitude),#num(longitude)) as LocationKey,

country

//"[Latitude Longitude]"

I believe one of you coordinates may be off - as it is showing Alexandria in France.

Let us know how you do.

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik

View solution in original post

18 Replies
Not applicable
Author

I have the same problem. However, the solution is the addition of Google Maps for QlikSense. ZIP archive contents should be placed in the extensions directory. (Documents / Qlik / Sense / Extensions /) and QVF file in the directory with applications (Documents / Qlik / Sense / Apps /).

Link to the ZIP archive with Extension: http://www.superwarto.pl/Sense/GoogleMaps-Sense.zip

Link to the sample application: http://www.superwarto.pl/Sense/GoogleMaps.qvf

To add a map to be added in one field coordinates.

Format of the field:

[latitude longitude] for example: [52.2296756 21.012228700000037]

In the Data Load Editor you must use function GeoMakePoint to create field with Coordinates, for example:

GeoMakePoint(latitude,longitude) as coordinates;

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Alekhya,

You are using GeoMakePoint() - with your Lat and Long fields as described in the videos: Using the Maps Chart Object - Points Maps - Part 1 - (video) correct?

In your screenshot - I don't see your location key field such named as coordinates as Bart described above. (you may have named it something else, I could not tell)

First verify that (see attached example) - copy .qvf file to your C:\Users\<user profile>\Documents\Qlik\Sense\Apps  and refresh with F5.

THEN - If you are using it correctly and you are still getting this issue - then it may be an issue with your Latitude and Longitude field.

Can you put them in a table object and see if there are all right aligned?

Make it look like this: (note they are right aligned, indicating they are numeric) - if you have a mix of left and right aligned fields - your Lat and Long may need further transformation.

If you got to the data model viewer - see if the Latitude and Longitude fields are listed as $numeric.

Let us know how you do.

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Hi..

I have tried by adding the field that you have mentioned but I cannot see the dimensions displayed in the dimensions of the map.

Not applicable
Author

Hi...

It is showing the same error that the action I am attempting cannot be used for the vizualization

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Alekhya - I see the answer was marked as correct, but you then replied that you are still having an issue. Are you you still having a problem? Please attach sample data and .qvf app so we can take a look further.

Regards,

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

How to change the Latitude and Longitude fields are listed as $numeric because it is showing me in preview $ascii$text.

Not applicable
Author

C:\Users\ALEKHYA\Documents\Qlik\Sense\Apps\DSIS.qvf

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

your .qvf did not attach - but see my attached .qvf with everything working.

Note this worked for me immediately without having to do anything with the data. Only because I assume the xls file was an export?

I assume you are getting your data from another source and this .xls file is not the original and just a sample?

You can force the Lat and Long to be numeric like this:

GeoMakePoint(num#(latitude),num#(longitude)) as LocationKey,

num#() - converts the type to numeric.

Is this what you are after? (click images to enlarge)

Note I use primary_city as my dimension.

LOAD

zip,

primary_city,

state,

county,

GeoMakePoint(latitude,longitude) as LocationKey,

country

//"[Latitude Longitude]"

OR in your case:

LOAD

zip,

primary_city,

state,

county,

GeoMakePoint(#num(latitude),#num(longitude)) as LocationKey,

country

//"[Latitude Longitude]"

I believe one of you coordinates may be off - as it is showing Alexandria in France.

Let us know how you do.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

Hey,

It's great that you are sharing the Google Maps extension but please don't post the zip. Instead try to link to either Branch or Github directly, for this extension this thread on Branch http://branch.qlik.com/projects/showthread.php?487-GoogleMaps

If I make any updates to the extension (which I do/will) the zip won't get updated so it's better to always grab extensions from the source.