Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

Dynamically Change Expressions

This videos will show you how to dynamically change expression in QV using an single control.  The resulting QVW is also attached.

http://youtu.be/QSJhYdJHHjA

15 Replies
Not applicable

Hey Josh,

Thank you so much for this tip.  This is extremely helpful to someone who is new to Qlikview and has a rather steep learning curve to overcome with little time and a large number of requests to address.

I am running into a complication with a chart that utilizes numerous expressions.  What I have is a chart with expressions like, freight, labor, materials, waste, that are all associated to a single order.  These are stacked columns in the chart and I have all of the orders listed in the chart.  Based on what you showed in the video above, I was hoping that I could use this to allow users to select just the freight, or the materials to see the associated costs by each order.  However, it still loads all of the values, but it seems to sort them differently (perhaps by the selected expression?).  Additionally, there doesn't seem a way from this video to be able to select all of the fields in the Listbox.  When I do that, I receive a no data to display value in the chart.  Hope you can help me out.

Thanks,

Chris

ebc
Employee
Employee

Hi Chris,

What Josh was able to accomplish in the video was to dynamically select and display a single measurement across multiple different visualizations. In your chart this would be accomplished by creating a single expression where you sum the metric (freight, labor, etc) of course displayed by the orders dimension. This of course requires one and only one metric selected at a time.

It sounds like you would like to display one to many of these metrics all at the same time (based on user selection). In this case you would have to create separate expressions for every metric and is the conditional show (or hide) feature based on the users selection.

Not applicable

I've been working with this example but am having trouble applying it to a boxplot. My expressions have both a dimension and the measure that changes, but when I have referenced metrics of my own the way %metric items would be referenced, it doesn't want to accept the inline load. When I remove the [...] brackets, it loads ok but doesn't reference the actual metric. Suggestions?

vikasmahajan

Nice ..

Vikas

Hope this resolve your issue.
If the issue is solved please mark the answer with Accept as Solution & like it.
If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.
Not applicable

This is literally awesome and works very well.

The only obstacle is when using the standard document clear all function (or buttons for that matter), it clears the pickmetric filter - is there a way around this?

Have tried using a button with Clear Other Fields and %pickmetric but this doesn't even seem to clear anything.

Any help appreciated

Not applicable

Just figured it out...

Create a list box for %pickmetric and place in hidden tab or similar.

Set the List box to 'Always One Selected Value'.

Clear selections will then clear everything except one of the values in the %pickmetric box