Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zagzebski
Creator
Creator

Showing Y Axis in thousands always

I have a chart that sometimes shows in thousands and sometimes in millions based on the value of the line graph. However I want it to show in thousands (0,000) AWLAYS. So whether the lines are in the thousands range OR millions range it would ALWAYS show in the thousands (ie 1,000,000 would show as 1,000).

Thanks in Advance,

Steve

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable

Did you take a look at the example QVW that I posted? This is a fairly common requirement that I always handle using the method shown there.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Not applicable

Try dividing your existing expression by 1000.

Not applicable

Typically, I would handle the formatting like the attached example.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

you can set in Number tab of your chart the Thousand Symbol as K.

KR,

Elena

zagzebski
Creator
Creator
Author

Elana -

I put "$K" in the Thousands symbol , Integer formatting of (#,##0 )

I have three expressions I did this for but I am having all kinds of problems:

Problems:

1. I have numbers in the millions that are rounding off. So the Y-Axis has a 1 or 2 (ex 2,000,000 being rounded to 2) but then the "K" is showing which is completely wrong.

2. Sometimes it doesn't round the millions (2,000,000 being round to 2,000) but then the "K" doesn't even show.

Any help is apprecaited!

Steve

Not applicable

Did you take a look at the example QVW that I posted? This is a fairly common requirement that I always handle using the method shown there.

zagzebski
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks Clark!

I am going to try this. However it is still bothersome that I can't just use the numbers tab (thousand symbol, etc.) to get this to work. It seems very inconsistent. Hopefully dividing all numbers by 1000 will take care of the problem.

Have you experience these same problems trying to just use the numbers tab to get what you want?

Steve

zagzebski
Creator
Creator
Author

Clark -

So I divided all my expressions by 1000.

Most of the expressions fall in the 1,000,000 - 4,000,000 per month range (my chart is by month).

So what I want my chart to show on the Y-Axis for example is 1,000 (representing 1,000,000) with a "K" at the top. But after I made your changes it is still showing just 1 on the Y-Axis and a K at the top. Why won't it show the 1,000 on the Y-axis instead it is representing millions???

So frustrating,

Steve

Not applicable

The number tab method works well if you want the axis to auto adjust between using single $, K, M depending on value. If you leave the "Million/Billion Symbol" boxes blank on the numbers tab, it will never round to millions (it will always be K's at higher values) but I don't believe there is a way to stop it from displaying in single dollars at the lower end of the threshold.

If you want it to always show in thousands no matter what, I recommend putting the formatting in the expression itself. If your chart doesn't work like my example, check the Number tab and make sure there is nothing in the Thousand Symbol, Million Symbol, Billion Symbol boxes and the format is set to expression default.

If still not working perhaps you could upload a sample?

Thanks,

Clark