Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How can I remove the scroll bar from a chart?

I would like to be able to expand the amount of data to be shown in the graph.  Instead of having just a section of the data visible, adjustable by the scroll bar, I would like the entire data set to be visible at once.

If it isn't possible at the moment, when is it going to be possible?

14 Replies
robert_mika
Master III
Master III

DO you mean this scrollbar?

29-Apr-15 4-30-42 PM.jpg

Just untickt the box

Not applicable
Author

Your answer is dealing with QlikView, but I'm asking about Qlik Sense.

Thanks anyway.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

not possible in Sense, I was looking for this too

ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

No, that is not possible. I am not aware of any current plans to change that.

The visualization in Qlik Sense differs from QlikView. The object are rendered based on the area that you have allocated for the object. If the data does not fit the area, I have a hard time seeing how you would be able to change the object to enforce the data in the area. If you want to only show a portion of the data with out the scroll, evaluate using set expressions.

Keep in mind that the Qlik Sense application also ins intended to work in smaller mobile devices, and there for it has a touch friendly GUI.

Not applicable
Author

I understand all your saying.

But still, just as other competitors are doing, the data should be enforced to fit the area.

And if a user doesn't like it, then he should have the option to add a scrollbar (just as in QlikView). It makes no sense when using days as x axis, then max you can see is 60 days.

Any Qlik employee can answer if that's going to be possible?

ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

First of all I think you need to look at Qlik Sense as the new product that it is, which means all desired features and settings are not yet in place. Features are added continuously through our Feature Releases and major releases, but these changes are not communicated until the release is very close in time. Different alternatives for presenting data is of course being evaluated and the ones selected are considered the best ones based on trial and user experience.

For Qlik Sense in general you need to consider that the objects are designed to fit varies screen sizes and provide a touch friendly interface. From this perspective the 60 data points on your screen could be 40 on my laptop and 20 on a tablet. If you have a setting that enforces all values how are you sure that will provide the end-user with a good experience? The competitors you refer to, are they providing the same dynamic distribution format for varies devices?

If you want a more compact x axis, maybe switching to weeks or months can be an alternative, and show the data as an average or a median? I am not sure what chart type you use, but if you use a line chart you will have a overview line as part of the scroll bar, and ten you zoom in on sections as you scroll. Could that be an option for your presentation needs?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Tony, when you create a line chart with over 1 dimension, the overview line disappears, so it doesn't really help (which I guess is a bug).

The competitors are providing the same dynamic distribution format for devices, but they are reading directly from the DB and not as quick as Qlik. That's the reason we chose to use qlik sense.

ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

I would not consider that a bug. With multiple dimensions you chart is likely to have many lines, so a miniature overview would look very cluttered and not provide much value. This is in many ways the nature of the Qlik Sense objects, they adapt to the situation.

I won't start a discussion on BI competitors, but I am quite sure you can find a lot of benefits with Qlik Sense going forward.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Gal, if you make it feel better, almost every question about Sense is ending with someone saying "no, you do not get it, Qlik Sense is different and Qlik Sense knows better what you or your users really need" and then developers would argue that a lot of things are not working properly or not customized.

The real truth I think that:

1) we really need QlikView 12 which was promised 3 years before and still not released to date

2) Qlik Sense is a product in between which might grow into something cool and great but not there yet and cannot possible replace QlikView 11.

If you accepted that truth and do not high expectations for Sense in terms of customization, you will be fine.