Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sync User List via Local Network, but cannot logging in as the User Directory Value is WORKGROUP

Hi chaps,

I may need your guidance on how to "Allocate User Access Pass" after synching with Local Network.

First, let me share what I've done:

I'm creating several windows users (UserA, UserB, UserC) on a standalone server (The Server name is: MYSENSESERVER). I'm aware that we can first attempt logging in as the new user (in this case: UserA) by attempt to connect to the "https://MySenseServer/HUB" (As show in the minute: 7:50-8:50 from this video (

, so that their name will be listed in QMC >.Users.

What I noticed is, using this method, the "User Directory" column for UserA is showing "MYSENSESERVER" as its value; whilst when I do the sync using Local Network, it assigned all these "imported" users (UserA, UserB, UserC) with "WORKGROUP" into the "User Directory" column.

Since all the users will be logging in as "MYSENSESERVER\UserA" or UserB or UserC, it seems they won't be logging in and use the entry made via the import using UDC Local Network.

My question then, is there a way to change the "User Directory" value from "WORKGROUP" to "MYSENSESERVER"?

Alternatively, is there a way for us to allow all these users to show up without the need to logging one at a time?

(I'm planning to create 20-30 users and it may not be practical to do this one at a time)....

Thank you in advance.

Cheers,

Anton

16 Replies
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Anton - I have noticed this behavior as well when using the Local Network UDC. Myself and others will attempt to investigate this and get back to you about it. It seems that the recommended approach is to use the WORKGROUP domain / group name instead of the local server name - IF you inttend to use the UDC with LOCAL Network. You can then delete the duplicate users with the computer name entry. It does not seem there is a way to update the User Directory connector entry property for the user using the QMC.

Also so you are aware, there is a known issue where the Local Network UDC does not recognize or pull in the windows group value - which normally could be used as the group parameter when defining an access rule to lock user access down using specific groups.

In regards to assigning access passes - you can create a simple security rule (user access rule) for the user access passes and assign a value such as like  * - this will allow ALL created users in the Windows operating system access to the hub. I know, it would be ideal if you used the window group parameter like you can do with Active Directory UDC (as seen in the video) but the Local Network UDC does not have that yet.

What you can do is create a custom property for the user resource, assign some values such as departments / groups. Then for each user in the users list that you want to have access to the HUB - assign that custom property to them.

Then in the user access rule - use that custom property value and it will lock down user access to the hub and only allow those users.

here are some screen shots that can help.

Simple rule for ALL users to have access

Custom Property - created to lock down access to values YOU assign to the property

Make sure Users resource is selected

Assigning the user the custom property value

Create rule for the user access (available in the tokens and licensing section)

Hope this helps

let us know

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Mike,

I appreciate your quick respond. Glad to hear that it's not that I'm doing it wrong

I assume this would be available in the future release? I understand this is an edge case, because most users would be connected to the domain instead of local server (I'm using it for testing anyway, thus using local server for now). Let me tinker a bit more and let you know if/when I have further questions.

Cheers,

Anton

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Anton - thank you. I have this information out to our R&D team to verify and understand the behavior. I will update you as soon as I get a reply.

Kind Regards,

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Hello,

I have a similar issue. I created local users on the server and then created a "local network" UDC (and of course I assigned them licenses).

My users now appears as belonging to "WORKGROUP" domain.

I am not able to log in with any of these users on the hub. I tried with "WORKGROUP\<user>", "<server_name>\user", and "<user>". Qlik Sense doesn't recognize them.

Could you explain your answer "the recommended approach is to use the WORKGROUP domain / group name instead of the local server name - IF you inttend to use the UDC with LOCAL Network."?

Thanks a lot

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Aymeric,

I am told this is a bug and should be fixed in a service release, available shortly.

• I would recommend going into the QMC and delete those users
  • access the URL for the hub
  • log in with the user id that is local to the machine  - format: user  NOT workgroup\user
  • - you will get a message that the access pass needs to be assigned
  • assign the access pass for the user
  • you should be able to log in again.

let us know

Mike T

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Michael,

Thanks for your quick answer. I confirm this works.

Hope the fix will be released soon regarding this local network UDC.

Thank you for your help.

tonyiantorno
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

HI Michael,

I guess this issue is still relevent in QlikSense 1.1?

Thanks,

Tony

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Tony - I will check for you.

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
tonyiantorno
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi Michael, Any further news regarding the user being duplicated as a Domain user and also as a Workgroup user on the Sense QMC?

Thanks,

Tony