cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
guster999
Creator
Creator

Qlik sense charts-adding a trend line as a reference line

Please see attached chart - I would like to add a trend line similar to how the target line appears (i.e. without data points, but ideally red in colour and with a label) but I want to keep data points on my main measure.   The formula below provides the trend line okay as a measure, but when I use the same as a reference line it doesn't appear?

linest_m(total aggr(if(avg(purple8mins),avg(purple8mins)),Mth),Mth)* 

only({1}Mth)+linest_b(total aggr(if(avg(purple8mins),avg(purple8mins)),Mth),Mth)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Gus - you are correct - the reference line add-on fx expression - can be used to create a calculated, dynamic value to create a dynamic line as per the conditions defined in the expression. If you want to use a line as an actual trend line, you must use that formula you showed, as an expression in another measure.

I assume you got that example from here How to add lineal trend in Qlik sense or here: Re: How to add lineal trend in Qlik sense

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Not applicable

Hi,

I did a similar Line Chart with my data in Qlik Sense and I went to "Add-ons" > "Reference lines". There you have the option to input your formula in the "Reference line expression" tab. Since I don't have your data, I couldn't insert your formlua, but I improvised with another one suitable for my data. After that you can choose a "Color" - red and a "Label" - Target:

Example.jpg

The Target line won't have data points. However, to have your data points on your main line you have to go to "Appearance">"Presentation"> check "Show data points" and "Value labels".

I hope that I have been helpful.

guster999
Creator
Creator
Author

thanks, yes I had manged to add a simple line (eg a target) as per the document attached in my post.

And I found the option for a specific colour and label - great!

That is why I also wanted to apply the formula on this post for a trend line - I got this from another post - but it shows there as a measure rather than a reference line.

Maybe the reference line option in add-ons is limited in this regard? but when I saw the fx option i thought there might be an option to add something more complex like a trend line?

cheers

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Gus - you are correct - the reference line add-on fx expression - can be used to create a calculated, dynamic value to create a dynamic line as per the conditions defined in the expression. If you want to use a line as an actual trend line, you must use that formula you showed, as an expression in another measure.

I assume you got that example from here How to add lineal trend in Qlik sense or here: Re: How to add lineal trend in Qlik sense

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT / HELPFUL so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike Tarallo

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
guster999
Creator
Creator
Author

thanks for the clarification Michael - so I guess I'm after any suggestions for adding the trend line to a line chart, but distinguishing it by color with the data points removed (but left in for the main measure)?   (i.e. referring to the attached doc on this post - the trend line is hard to separate out visually from the measure line)

Not applicable

Hello Gus,

Did you manage? Reading Michael's answer, i dont get it.

Mel
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've successfully added a trend-line by using the suggested expression in a combo chart in Qlik Sense.  But, when a time-frame is selected, the bars are filtered to the selected time-frame, but the trend line is not.  I tried using a variable for the time period, but, it is quite possible I don't know what I'm doing since my only Qlik training has been searching to find a solution to a problem.  Any suggestions?  Does anyone know if the trend-line checkbox will ever be put into Qlik Sense as it was in Qlik View?  It seems like folks have been asking for this for a while.  Thanks so much for your help!

--Mel