Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vishalgoud
Creator III
Creator III

While Deciding the RAM size Which Qvw size we have to take, Compressed or decompressed...?

Hi Experts,

I have a Qvw file of around 3 GB , 3 GB Size is with Compression Mode as High ( Document Settings - general - Save Format as High )

I just checked the Size of the file With Save Format as - None, it is really shocking that file Size showing around 30 GB ...

now the challenge is RAM size , Based on which Format we have to decide the RAM Size whether Compressed File size i.e 3GB or

File with no Compression ( 30 GB)...

Please Guide us on this issue...

Any response on this post is highly appreciated...

thanks in advance

Regards

Vishal.

7 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

See this document: RAM Calculation QlikView App

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi,

The old quick rule of thumb is take the compressed size. Below example the QVW is 100mb compressed.

100mb QVW file ( * 4)               400mb Server Memory

10 users 10% of server              400mb Server Memory for user (40 per)

800mb to maintain 1 qvw file

Bi;;

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
vishalgoud
Creator III
Creator III
Author

thanx Bill , ur info is helpful

We are also planning the Same Rule for RAM Size but am in great Confusion on Compression High /None option in Document Settings...

My Basic doubt is which file size I have to consider now to  decide the RAM size  , Compressed Qvw which is around 3GB  or Decompressed qvw which is around 30 GB..

plz provide some Conclusion to this...

Regards

vishal.

mr_barriesmith
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi

From our experience, the uncompressed QVW is very close to the size of the Virtual DB in RAM.  So all sizing should be done on the uncompressed size.

The general rule of 1 user used 10% of Virtual DB RAM is reasonable but not for large size QVWs.  If you have a 30GB QVW in RAM it is highly unlikely that an individual user will unpack 3GB RAM through the front-end.

On QlikView Desktop there is a Memory Status button (Document settings, General tab) which we use to look at the big apps.  Qlik say this info is not 100% but we find it reasonable enough for planning.

I'd expect on a 30GB app you would see less than 3% per user.

There are other articles on QlikCommunity on this; sorry I didn't have time to find and refer.

All the best, Adam

Bill_Britt
Former Employee
Former Employee

The compress is how it is saved to disk. The options Medium and High substantially decrease the size of the QlikView file while sacrificing some load and save speed.

I have always been tool to use the compress size to determine memory. What you can do is put it on your server check the QlikView Server memory use in task manager and then open the document and see how much memory is used.

Check out the attached PDF.

Bill

Bill - Principal Technical Support Engineer at Qlik
To help users find verified answers, please don't forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any posts that helped you resolve your problem or question.
Koniki
Contributor II
Contributor II

@Gysbert_Wassenaar wrote:

See this document: RAM Calculation QlikView App

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I do not recommend using the old "Rules of Thumb" or the estimator spreadsheet. You can get accurate data per app using WIndows tools or 

Qlikview Cookbook: QV Document Analyzer http://qlikviewcookbook.com/recipes/download-info/document-analyzer/

Document analyzer will give you RAM required for the App as well as per user RAM. 

-Rob
http://masterssummit.com
http://qlikviewcookbook.com
http://www.easyqlik.com