cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
l_palacios
Contributor III
Contributor III

Issue with text values dropping leading zero

I have an output issue where a text value that has a  leading zero gets converted to numeric and the zero is dropped whenever a file exceeds 50000 rows of data in excel. Is there a way to fix this? I have updated document preferences in the presentation section to treat as "mixed" as well as the properties in the pivot tables. It only happens when the export exceeds 50k and exporting to excel. Is there a workaround or a fix for this?

8 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

It probably happens when you have more than 65536 records. That's when Qlikview starts exporting to csv format. CSV doesn't contain formatting so no leading zero's.

Try reading some of the results from this search: https://community.qlik.com/search.jspa?q=leading+zero+export+format

Perhaps one of the solutions is what you're looking for.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
l_palacios
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you. Will start reading through that link. I do have more than 65k rows that I need returned. How can this be handled to include all the rows?

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If you have character columns or text values from a source you should always tell QlikView not to interpret the values but keep them as text by wrapping the column/field in the Text()-function ... then it should stay as text in QlikView too.

LOAD

Text(product_id) AS product_id,

FROM

[Products.XLSX] ....

Actually I always recommend people to do that to make sure that QlikView doesn't mess up your character/text fields by misreading them as numbers... QlikView is a bit too eager to be helpful sometimes - but this is mistaken politeness.

Just tell QlikView - thank you - but no thanks by using the Text()-function.

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Is it an XLSX-file you are reading? I can't seem to reproduce your problem... reading much more than 50000 rows without a problem and if it is really a text in Excel it is read in as text in QlikView and keeping the leading zeros too.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

You're looking at the wrong end of the beast. He's exporting, not importing.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

sorry about that ...

l_palacios
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

No Worries ☺.

l_palacios
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

this was helpful as well for another issue. Thanks.