Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Interpretation of Dates going wrong

Hi All,

I would like to use an Excelsheet for analysis, but I have some issues with the interpretation of a date field. In Excel the date records look something like this:

9/30/2014 5:06:55 PM
9/30/2014 5:12:19 PM
9/30/2014 5:12:39 PM
9/30/2014 5:15:59 PM
9/30/2014 5:58:36 PM
10-1-2014
10-1-2014
10-2-2014
10-2-2014
10-3-2014

All date-records should have the MM/DD/YYYY format, but Excel shows the first records as text. The last records are interpreted as date, but with a wrong format(DD-MM-YYYY instead of MM-DD-YYYY).

Is there an easy way to read all these records in the right format without having to change the Excel-data?

12 Replies
Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

LOAD

DATE(FLOOR(ALT(

Date#(F1,'M/D/YYYY h:mm:ss TT'), // Try first format

Date#(F1,'M-D-YYYY') // then second

)))  as Date

INLINE [

F1

9/30/2014 5:06:55 PM

9/30/2014 5:12:19 PM

9/30/2014 5:12:39 PM

9/30/2014 5:15:59 PM

9/30/2014 5:58:36 PM

10-1-2014

10-1-2014

10-2-2014

10-2-2014

10-3-2014

];

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Perry,

It is not good that your Excel spreadsheet has duff values in.  If you can fix the source it will be better all round.

You should be able to deal with what you have here though, with a bit of code something like:

LOAD

Date(if(Alt(DateField, 0) * 1 <> 0,

DateField,

Date#(DateField, 'D/MM/YYYY h:mm:ss TT')),

'MM/DD/YYYY') as CorrectDate,

The code with the Alt and the multiplication is a sure fire way to check you have a valid date field in Excel (don't worry about how it looks in Excel - this is not important), if it is a valid date you can just take it as is.  The Date# code is converting from string to a proper date, the parameter is the format of the string we are reading.  The IF block is wrapped in a Date statement which then formats the field how we want it.

Hope that helps,
Steve

MarcoWedel

please post an Excel sample.

thanks

regards

Marco

Not applicable
Author

thanks for the fast responses.

I know it's not very wise to use different formats, but the data comes from a machine running with a MM-DD-YYYY - format as default and my system uses a DD-MM-YYYY as default format. I have +100k of records, so I'm not eager to change the Excel-sheets.

The script of Clever works partly (the first 12 days of the month aren't recognized als shown in the pic). Knipsel.PNG

It seems I'm not able to post an Excel sample. How can I do that?

regards

Perry

MarcoWedel

QlikCommunity_Thread_165606_Pic1.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_165606_Pic2.JPG

regards

Marco

Not applicable
Author

I think I just solved it. Maybe not the most elegant way of doing this, but it seems to work.

Based on the input of Clever I made the following script:

Date(Floor(alt(

date#(F1,'M/D/YYYY h:mm:ss TT'),

MakeDate(YEAR(F1),DAY(F1),month(F1))))) as Date

By using the makedate function I was able to swap the month and day. Not sure if it generates any other problems along the way, but for now it works.

Thanks for your help.

Not applicable
Author

In this post the data I have to deal with.

MarcoWedel

Hi,

another solution could be:

Timestamp(Alt(TimeString,Timestamp#(TimeString,'MM/DD/YYYY hh:mm:ss TT'))) as Timestamp

and a preceding load

DayName(Timestamp) as Date

to get both the Timestamp as well as the Date information:

QlikCommunity_Thread_165606_Pic3.JPG

table1:

LOAD *,

DayName(Timestamp) as Date;

LOAD StateAfter,

TimeString,

Timestamp(Alt(TimeString,Timestamp#(TimeString,'MM/DD/YYYY hh:mm:ss TT'))) as Timestamp,

MsgText

FROM [https://community.qlik.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/783209-166622/demodata.xlsx] (ooxml, embedded labels, table is [Copy ]);

hope this helps

regards

Marco

campbellr
Creator
Creator

Hi Perry

I have had issues with dates in excel files when converting from mm/dd/yyyy to the correct way of dd/mm/yyyy. Excel likes to take a guess at what you mean and makes changes as it sees fit, so if it sees a date with the day of 13 or more it knows that is the day and switches but if the day is 12 or less it assumes it's the month and keeps it. No messages or warnings just "fixes" it.

To fix the dates in excel prior to loading into Qlikview would be my tactic. I use a macro that sets the formula of a cell to the cell value. This by default gets excel to treat the dates as mm/dd/yyyy. I tried it with your sample data and all of your dates were treated as October.  It doesn't seem right to post excel macros on a QlikView post. So if such things offend, please look away

Ron

VBA Code block--

Sub TrimInPlace()

'  Ron Campbell

'Highlight a section of cells

'step through cell by cell trimming the contents

'Trimming will only occur on visible cells, the macro skips any rows that are hidden or not visible as a result of a filter

If ActiveWorkbook Is Nothing Then

Exit Sub

End If

On Error GoTo ErrorHandler

Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual

Dim currCell As Range

If Selection.Count > 1 Then

Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Select

End If

For Each currCell In Selection.Cells

If Not Application.IsNA(currCell) Then

currCell.Formula = Replace(Replace(Replace(Trim(currCell.Value), Chr(160), ""), Chr(10), ""), "  ", " ")

End If

Next

'restore the user's calculation setting

Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAuto

Exit Sub

ErrorExit:

'restore the user's calculation setting

Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAuto

'the ErrorHandler code should only be executed if there is an error

Exit Sub

ErrorHandler:

Debug.Print Err.Number & vbLf & Err.Description