Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shrink ratio in QVD and QVW files

Hi When we extract data from Excel sheet of 5 GB and store it into QVD. What would be the size of the QVD, what is the the shrinkage ratio. In what format the data present in the QVD is stored. How the shrinking of the takes place.

9 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You should read Rob Wunderlich's article about Document Compression on his qlikviewcookbook . com site.

Just Google:

Rob Wunderlich document compression

And you find the link at the top of the search results.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

sure Petter will read that and update the discussion.

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

This article too by Henric Cronström is very relevant to the topic too:

Symbol Tables and Bit-Stuffed Pointers

It touches the very core of the "compression" techniques used in QlikView and Qlik Sense. The de-duplication that is done is definitely a compression technique.

pratap6699
Creator
Creator

it compressed on QVD based on fields and records...i think your source file is 5GB QVD can compress data 10 to 100 % so it should be 1GB of QVD

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

unfortunately QlikView or Qlik Sense cant compress it 100%. But it would have been a killer feature though

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Remember that Excel stored in .xlsx format is also compressed, so a QVD created from the Excel file may not be significantly smaller - it will depend on the values in the data sheet. The older .xls format is not compressed.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you Jonathan... that is useful info. I did not know that.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

sure will go through the topic and get back to you.. Thank you for your quick response...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you for your response. I will do a test run and check it. Is there any tech brief or tech note or a discussion with explains how that is done internally. Thanks for your help.