Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Google Maps in Access Point

Hi all,

I am using Google Maps in a scatter chart with the Google URL set as a Dynamic Image.

This works in my personal edition, however, when I open the document through Access Point the map will not display. I am using IE Plugin. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be going wrong?

Thanks

Mike

9 Replies
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Mike,

When opening through the Access Point the server will be pulling down the map image and then sending it down to the client. Is the server locked down in such a way that it can't make that request to the internet?

Check your proxy and firewall settings on the server to ensure that the server and the service user you are using can access Google Maps pages.

Hope that helps,

Regards,
Steve

Not applicable
Author

Hi Mike,

I am not sure why you are not able to Google Maps. I managed to open the Google Maps in the access point without any problem. Not even did any changes in the settings as well. I got opened in the first attempt itself.

Probably as said you need to check your firewall settings.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Both,

Thanks for your suggestions but it doesn't seem to be a firewall issue as I can view the map url's generated in internet explorer - just not through Access Point.

Could it be that we do not have the dynamic push licence for Qlikview Server?

Thanks

Mike

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Mike,

When you connect to Google Maps using the URL then you are making the connection from the client machine. When you are having a map displayed in QlikView on the server it is the server that is connecting to Google maps and then then client just downloads the image from the server. If the server doesn't have connectivity to the internet then that will fail.

On some networks it is down to domain account as to what can be accessed on the internet. Is that the case in your environment? If so, is the user that the QlikView Server Service running as allowed to access the internet?

Regards,
Steve

Not applicable
Author

I'm having the same issue as Mike.

My Access Point is on an AWS, and I run the same Google Maps URL request in IE on the AWS server, but they just show up as blank when run in a QV app through Access Point.

Are there any server settings I could tweak that might resolve this?

Thanks,

DJ

Not applicable
Author

Hi DjNorton,

Did you ever find a solution for this?

I am experiencing the same problem.

Thanks

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi there,

If you open a remote desktop session on the QlikView server, logged on as the service user, and then open a web browser can you connect to Google maps? If not then the issue is internet connectivity from the server. It is not uncommon that a server will be hardened to not allow web access.

Regards,
Steve

Not applicable
Author

When I had exactly the same problem, it was indeed the internet access settings for the user on the server that runs the QVS service. Specifically, the resolution was:

1. Log on to the server as the administrator assigned to run the QVS service
  2. Within an Internet Explorer window, click Tools>Internet Options
  3. The Connections tab should be set to whatever is required to allow internet access.

You should be able to browse the internet freely when logged in as this user. Additionally, you can directly test the map is being retrieved correctly by doing the following in QV desktop:

1. Go into the map object properties and the 'Colors' tab.
  2. Copy the expression from the 'Dynamic Image' box.
  3. Paste this expression into a new text box object.
  4. Copy the generated text directly into a web browser window. The map image you are hoping to retrieve should display.
Not applicable
Author

HI.

I did this  :

Mark Bowles <span class="icon-status-icon icon-partner" title="Partner"></span> wrote:

You should be able to browse the internet freely when logged in as this user. Additionally, you can directly test the map is being retrieved correctly by doing the following in QV desktop:

1. Go into the map object properties and the 'Colors' tab.
  2. Copy the expression from the 'Dynamic Image' box.
  3. Paste this expression into a new text box object.
  4. Copy the generated text directly into a web browser window. The map image you are hoping to retrieve should display.

and the map was displayed in the in the browser successfully.  However, the map is not being displayed when viewed through accesspoint within our Intranet.  Can anyone help on this?

Many thanks,