Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

Access to CSS

A lot of the reports we write are for customers with brand guidelines we need to adhere to.

With sense being a HTML Front end are there plans to give users access to the underlying CSS in Qlik Sense?

I've seen in extensions you can access and modify the CSS of a chart type
but I think that would be overkill to have to rewrite a chart object just to access the formatting.

If I wanted to for example change the Chart Titles from Qlik grey to black for example.  Is there one place I can change this and if yes will we be able to upload themes to it in future.  Something like what Bootstrap have done.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Andy - just to add to what Josh stated - there will be the ability to set themes via JSON configuration files and apply that theme directly to the app.

Here is an example:

Standard app - URL: (using Desktop - I am using the latest build)

http://localhost:4848/sense/app
/C%3A%5CUsers%5Cmtarallo.MTARALLO%5CDocuments%5CQlik%5CSense%5CApps%5CDeliveryPerform/she…

9-4-2014 7-56-15 AM.png

App URL with theme applied at end of the URL

localhost:4848/sense/app/C%3A\Users\mtarallo.MTARALLO\Documents\

Qlik\Sense\Apps\DeliveryPerform/sheet/HkjqTU/state/analysis/theme/highvis

Note: .../theme/highvis  - at the end of the URL

9-4-2014 7-58-33 AM.png

See the theme / CSS coming from the JSON file.

http://localhost:4848/resources/themes/highvis/theme.json??1408778147544

(this is an image of a sample snip from my browser)

9-4-2014 8-01-39 AM.png

Hope this is helpful

Mike T

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik

View solution in original post

61 Replies
Josh_Good
Employee
Employee

Hi Andy,

What you are describing is exactly the direction we are going.  Today themeing is not a capability from the stock interface however you could do a mashup and us CSS to control the look of the webpage.

Lots of great things to come and with the new release cadence you will see regular improvements.

-Josh

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Andy - just to add to what Josh stated - there will be the ability to set themes via JSON configuration files and apply that theme directly to the app.

Here is an example:

Standard app - URL: (using Desktop - I am using the latest build)

http://localhost:4848/sense/app
/C%3A%5CUsers%5Cmtarallo.MTARALLO%5CDocuments%5CQlik%5CSense%5CApps%5CDeliveryPerform/she…

9-4-2014 7-56-15 AM.png

App URL with theme applied at end of the URL

localhost:4848/sense/app/C%3A\Users\mtarallo.MTARALLO\Documents\

Qlik\Sense\Apps\DeliveryPerform/sheet/HkjqTU/state/analysis/theme/highvis

Note: .../theme/highvis  - at the end of the URL

9-4-2014 7-58-33 AM.png

See the theme / CSS coming from the JSON file.

http://localhost:4848/resources/themes/highvis/theme.json??1408778147544

(this is an image of a sample snip from my browser)

9-4-2014 8-01-39 AM.png

Hope this is helpful

Mike T

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II
Author

Perfect loving the work.

Not applicable

Hi Michael,

I was wondering if there is any way i can directly change theme.css in resources and saving it for my localhost.

-Faredun

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Faredun,

Not in the default - out-of-the-box client configuration - you can attempt to browse: C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Client - to take a look at what is available - .css, html, .js and images - but I would not recommended changing these. Currently the way the themes work is through manipulating the JSON: C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Client\themes\sense\theme.json.

HTH

Mike T

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable

Thanks a lot mate!

Not applicable

I tried changing the client\themes\sense\theme.json file in my QS server but it seems to have no effect, even after restarting all QS services.  Is it not yet possible to do this or is there an extra step I'm missing?

Not applicable

I have found on Qlik Sense desktop that the folder C:\Program Files\Qlik\Sense\Client\themes\sense\theme.json does not exist.

I do hope that there is a way to change the color styles and schemes. We'd like to see if we can have a color scheme better suited for color blind accessibility with better color contrast in general.

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello All on this thread, I am investigating the status of this "experimental" capability. I will let you all know what I find.

Please stay tuned,

Regards,

Mike T

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik