Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paputzback
Contributor III
Contributor III

What naming conventions do you use for Security and Folders?

I am wondering what naming conventions or best practices people use for naming QV related objects.

Applications:

• None yet

Categories:

• None Yet

Attributes:

• None Yet

Folders:

• We are using QDF and the Container Folder Name becomes the name of the mounted folder. E.g., if my Container is named 6.DataGovernance, then my UserDocs folder is UserDocs\6.DataGovernance

Source Document Distribution Recipients are Active Directory Roles (My nightmare):

• Reporting - {Folder Name} - Readers RESOURCES
    • so, if I have five applications going to a mount "Data Governance" then my AD role is "Reporting - Data Governance - Readers RESOURCES". Then for that role their is a member role added named "Reporting - Data Governance - Readers USERS" which either has individual Users added as members or, preferably the role that person belongs to, e.g., Finance Analyst. That way if the user leaves\moves, their replacement gets access via that role.

FYI, I work for a hospital so form what I have seen as far as reporting is that a loft of reports are based on the application data, not necessarily departments, which all examples seem to be based on.

3 Replies
Siva_Sankar
Master II
Master II

Philip,

Refer quickintelligence.co.uk/qlikview-folder-structures/

Siva_Sankar
Master II
Master II

Also find the attached document

paputzback
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I am using the QDF folder structure, but that structure does not include \Published or \UserDocs. When I setup QlikView, we set everything to run from the D:\ drive. We didn't want QV logs filling up C:. So here is my structure. Inside \UserDocs I only put the published document. I don't much care for that structure and I would like ideas on naming conventions that would tie the folder structure to the AD security roles I create for access or what the arguments are for or against that practice and what the better option is. But now that I know, from screwing up the permissions enough, that when I publish to a folder and set the recipients to named users (I us AD roles), that only the applications is getting security set, not the folder. So why use more than one folder at all? If regardless of 1 or a 100 reports being in a mounted folder, the only reports they will see, are the reports published with them set as a recipient.

QV Folder structure.png