Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jag7777777
Contributor III
Contributor III

Setting chart colours from field values

Hi All,

I have a field - [Response/result] that contains either 'Green', 'Amber', 'Red' or 'None'.

I want to be able to have my charts render red, amber or green based on this field.

We've created a new field in the extract that calculates the individual RGB numbers:

,IF([Response/result] = 'Green', 173, IF([Response/result] = 'Amber', 255,IF([Response/result] = 'Red', 255, 255))) AS [PQIColour_Red]
IF([Response/result] = 'Green', 214, IF([Response/result] = 'Amber', 128,IF([Response/result] = 'Red', 0, 255))) AS [PQIColour_Green]
IF([Response/result] = 'Green', 44, IF([Response/result] = 'Amber', 0,IF([Response/result] = 'Red', 0, 255))) AS [PQIColour_Blue]

We've then attempted to use this in the colours of a chart using the following expression:

=RGB(
PQIColour_Red,PQIColour_Green,PQIColour_Blue
)

But this returns Black - we're assuming it's being evaluated at RGB(0,0,0)

We've create a list box with the same expression and it is showing as we'd expect - i.e. only four values:

RGB(255,255,255)

RGB(255,128,0)

RGB(255,0,0)

RGB(173,214,44)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stigchel
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

That should work but make sure there are no multiple values of one of the colors possible where you use the rgb expression. You probably can't use this in a chart object\properties color tab as these calculated colors are not evaluated by the dimension for example. Instead use the expression background color option by clicking on the + sign in front of it.

BGColor.png

View solution in original post

4 Replies
stigchel
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

That should work but make sure there are no multiple values of one of the colors possible where you use the rgb expression. You probably can't use this in a chart object\properties color tab as these calculated colors are not evaluated by the dimension for example. Instead use the expression background color option by clicking on the + sign in front of it.

BGColor.png

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Try the approach described in this blog post: Colors in charts

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
jag7777777
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks Piet - I was using the expression in the colours section. Moving it into the expression properties work perfectly!

stigchel
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

You're welcome John, glad to be of help.

Another tip, you can also use the following instead of these nested if statements. (The +1 after the match is for the default value for any non matching value)

pick(match([Response/result],'Green','Amber','Red')+1,255,173,255,255) as [PQIColour_Red]