Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobbydave
Creator III
Creator III

Qlikview nPrinting Designer license

Hi Guys,

I am launching Qlikview nPrinting (which is hosted on Server A) from Server B (which I am also trying to launch on Access Point).

I have followed instructions on launching an external request and when I click the nPrinting button on the app on Server B, it calls the nPrinting Job but then asks for the nPrinting License and Control Number for nPrinting Designer.

The External Request How to Execute NPrinting Reports by External XML Request – Customer Feedback for Vizubi told me to install the Designer on this server.

As mentioned earlier, I have nPrinting (Server and Designer) installed and license activated (before I came on board). I have the license details but I am not sure which one is which as there are a few lines of text in this license

I am assuming the license key is the XXX-XXXX-XXX-XXXX-XXXX

and the control number is the 16 digit number?

I have something about product level?????

As I have this installed nPrinting Designer on the nPrinting Server, does that mean I cannot use the license key again on the application /production server?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

David, irrespective the architecture of the software:

• Users who consume NPrinting reports, no matter the format, do not need any license.
  • Developers who create reports with NPrinting do need a Designer license

If your user goes to open a QVW then click a button to execute a report, the associated QlikView CAL is enough, regardless they use Ajax client, IE Plugin or direct URL.

Since your users are going to the Access Point, therefore not designing reports, they are OK as they are, and there is no need for additional licenses.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi David,

NPrinting is now licensed as any other QlikView product, with a Serial number and a control number of 5 digits. You may have a legacy version or a NPrinting version before the acquistion?

If you don't know which correspond to which product, I recommend you to contact Qoncierge at http://www.qlik.com/us/services/support/qoncierge who will help you with it.

In the current version, the QlikView NPrinting license is not multinode, ie: if you want to have two nodes running NPrinting Server you will need two licenses.

Similarly, with NPrinting Designer, you will need as many QlikView NPrinting Designer licenses as number of seats where the software will run (it could be just one).

Miguel

Anonymous
Not applicable

Miquel

When you say "you will need as many QlikView NPrinting Designer licenses as number of seats where the software will run (it could be just one)", what is your definition of seat ?

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Bill, number of people using the software, equivalent to what the Named User CAL or QlikView Local Client is for QlikView Desktop.

If you have 3 NPrinting Designers, they will need 3 Designer licenses.

Miguel

bobbydave
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Miguel,

Would I be correct then in saying then:

Server A: nPrinting (server and designer license activated)

Server B: Application/Production.

Users access the applications on Access Point and have associated CALs.

Is a developer license required per user now when accessing through Access Point or just for Server B?

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

David, irrespective the architecture of the software:

• Users who consume NPrinting reports, no matter the format, do not need any license.
  • Developers who create reports with NPrinting do need a Designer license

If your user goes to open a QVW then click a button to execute a report, the associated QlikView CAL is enough, regardless they use Ajax client, IE Plugin or direct URL.

Since your users are going to the Access Point, therefore not designing reports, they are OK as they are, and there is no need for additional licenses.

bobbydave
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Capture.PNGThats all fine for Access Point.

Right now, I have my application on Server B (production server - has developer installed but not activated license).

I (the developer), am testing my application and when I click on the button to launch nPrinting on the production server, it calls the external requests to launch nPrinting on the nPrinting server (Server A - fully licensed).

However when I press the button on Server B, it pops up with the command prompt to show whats happening and then up comes the Designer license dialog box. It is here I need to add my license.

I have a license but obviously, because I have it already activated on Server A (nPrinting Server), I will not be able to activate Designer on Server B ?

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

I'm may be missing something here.

If you have one Designer license which has not been activated in Server B, then why prompts? Both licenses are totally independent (it is not like in QlikView where the QlikView Server has licenses you then assign to every user).

If you entered the license in Server B then you either uninstall Designer disabling the license in Server B and then use it in your computer or ask Qoncierge for the best way of moving licenses you are not using. Note that NPrinting licenses do not lease, so you need to have a valid local license in each installation of the software.

bobbydave
Creator III
Creator III
Author

How to Execute NPrinting Reports by External XML Request – Customer Feedback for Vizubi

From reading the above article, I says I need to install Designer on the Production server.

I am uninstalling Designer from my production server now and going to run it again.

It is still installed and activated on my nPrinting server.

Will let you know the outcome

bobbydave
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Looks like I need nPrinting Designer installed. If I dont have it installed on my Production Server, nothing happens when I select the button. When it is installed, it looks as if to do something and then prompts for the designer license.

It is already activated on the nPrinting server.