Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Functionality of Section Access part on Reload tab

Hi all !

My today's question is about the Reload tab in QEMC. Into Document / User Documents / Reload, we can schedule some Reload task for documents.

When a document have a section access and i want to reload it each days, should i fill the section access part or not ? What is the purpose of this part ?

I'm Using QVS 9 SR5 (without publisher licence).

Thansk all !

9 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

Those fields are used in case you want a different user than the one is running the service to reload the document. Although you have a section access in your document, you don't need to set this up to reload the document normally.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

Ok... It's what I'm thinking about..

So we don't fill this part.

But we notice that a document with section access finish with a failure status contrary to document without section access.

We don't undertand why...

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You have two options when server reloading a section access document

• include the windows user name that the server is running under in an NTNAME column with ADMIN type access. In this case, you do not need to enter anything on the reload tab. Make sure to leave the USERNAME and PASSWORD fields blank for this row (if used).
  • include a USERNAME/PASSWORD combination username with ADMIN access for the reload. Here you WILL need to complete the section access in the reload tab.

There are other approaches, but I have tried both of these. Although I would recommend the first.

Remember that the user name should have ADMIN access.

Hope this helps

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

Try checking the log (if it's not enabled, do it in your settings menu, document properties, general, it will be created in the same directory you have your document stored).

Try a manual reload to see whether that helps.

Not applicable
Author

Manually the document has no pb to reload.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

That's right, I finally realized that obviously is always going to work, since you has previously logged into your document with a user allowed to reload. I suggest Jonathan Dienst's solution posted above.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Jonathan,

I agree with most, but I'd create a new user for reloading. I guess that ADMIN access depends on the security document configuration, as a user may be allowed to reload. Of course it may be disabled so only an admin user would be allowed.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

We will try the first one.

For the second, we already try to fill it with an ADMIN user of the section access. The result is failure.

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Miguel

My 2c worth on this:Cool

We use a dedicated windows service account for the QV server. This account has a strong, but unchanging password in active directory. It is included in a common section access script (which is in the hidden script) with ADMIN access. The users are athenticated using the NTNAME field. The common access script picks up the user names from a spreadsheet located in an access protected folder.

In our case, the reloads for the production models are not performed by the users. Of course, this does not apply to models created by the users that have not been moved to production, but then these are not reloaded by the server.

I don't really like username/password combinations as the passwords have to be stored somewhere in plain text, there is no enforcement of password policies and they need to be centrally administered.

Regards

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein