Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Difference in mapping between Map..Using and ApplyMap

Hi all,

I recently came across something I haven't really understood so far, still trying, so maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

There seems to be a difference in the behaviour of MAP ... USING compared to APPLYMAP when mapping a dual value.

MAP...USING seems not to map correctly, i.e. only the numeric part.

Please check attached sample file, where I've provided two buttons to switch between the two mapping methods.

I am aware that MAP...USING compared to APPLYMAP applies the mapping at different point in time, but I don't understand the difference in dual value mapping so far. Especially since other posts seem to show this working (like rwunderlich‌ suggested something similar here).

Personally, I am not 100% sure if I have seen this working before, it seems I am more friend of the ApplyMap() function.

Tested in two different versions, latest 11.20 SR11 x64.

Regards,

Stefan

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Go into Document Properties, Number pane. Select the "TwoMonthPeriodNameDual" and uncheck "Survive Reload". And then reload.

-Rob

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Go into Document Properties, Number pane. Select the "TwoMonthPeriodNameDual" and uncheck "Survive Reload". And then reload.

-Rob

swuehl
MVP
MVP
Author

Thanks a ton Rob for this!

I just created a new QVW with only the MAP..USING part, to make sure that what I've seen is not an artefact of the demo using both methods.

It seems to work (after first reload one needs to uncheck that setting), still - I am not sure if I understand why one needs to change this. Is this your standard work when you MAP ..USING duals?

Any more hints or ideas?

Regards,

Stefan

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

My best answer is "I don't know". I use MAP USING often, sometimes with dual(), and have never seen this problem. I've rewrote your example several ways to see if I can figure out the difference, but have not found it.

-Rb

swuehl
MVP
MVP
Author

We should set a good example and close this long-open thread...

I haven't fully understood the issue, but Rob's solution fixed it.