Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Shading + Instructions ??

2 questions:

1. Shading: maybe it is a Vista OS issue - but the shading in the list tables is so light as to be non-existent. Have loaded a single table with 4 columns, and can make selects in any one - and while I see the data reset depending on my selection I really don't have the shading that I saw in the video tutorials. Also each column's scroll buttons are virtually white and unsee-able also. While this may seem trivial it has a major impact on use-ability.

2. Instructions: video tutorials are fine, and so is the Help button....but having written instructions explaining icons , etc is awfully useful when in the product. Does this exist anywhere??

7 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

1) I've never had or heard of this problem. Sorry!
2) Well, the help menu is written instructions. Other than that, there's the reference manual, which should be in the QlikView\Documentation folder where you installed the product. Not sure what else to suggest.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

CahabaData wrote:2. Instructions: video tutorials are fine, and so is the Help button....but having written instructions explaining icons , etc is awfully useful when in the product. Does this exist anywhere??

If you don't see Tooltips for your Toolbar icons, you can turn on Tooltips by clicking the down arrow at the end of a toolbar and then:
Add or Remove Buttons
Customize
Optiions
Show ScreenTips on Toolbars

I've seen that shading problem before, but I can't find an example at the moment. Can you post a sample qvw with reduced data?

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

thanks for reply both; I can report that the shading issue is semi kindof sortof resolved..... I have a 2 screen set up and simply dragged it over to screen #2 and it shades fine....drag it back to screen #1 and almost no shading. So while it is clearly the screen it is also a mystery because I don't have any other app where I've seen this. I've never fiddled around with a screen's contrast/color settings - but I guess I am going to need to try that to resolve it on screen #1.

I guess I'm old school in wanting to read written documentation or a textbook. Honestly starting off with 'script' is not exactly intuitive. I know db/sql but I don't know this interface. Plus I have yet to determine which flavor/syntax of sql is being used...just alot of things I would like to read up on outside of the product or have by my side while going thru the product.....oh well..... Rob, b.t.w. I had found your site just googling around yesterday before you contributed your post here. I don't have a reference doc with my initial exe download - I will look around at qv. You suggested that I post the file - but I thought with my personal edition one can not share a file. Do I misunderstand this point? Which brings up another in that I did download your cookbook file (thinking that it was an instruction document)....

regards.

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

To download the reference manual, hover over "Support" at the top of the we page, then click on "Downloads". Checkmark "Documentation", "QlikView Desktop", version "9.00" and your preferred language. One of the downloads now listed should be the QlikView reference manual. It's a PDF. I'm ASSUMING you can download it without a license. I haven't tried.

Edit: As far as the "flavor" of SQL being used, it's whatever flavor you're used to using. Generally speaking, the SQL is just passed directly through your ODBC driver to your database management system. So whatever SQL your database management system can handle is the SQL you would write, ideosynchrasies and all. It does seem like QlikView tries to interpret what you're doing to some extent, and this seems to occasionally cause problems. But I haven't had any problems with the kind of very basic SQL I typically use with QlikView - just basic selects, and occasional joins.

And yeah, Rob's cookbook is a suite of examples, so it won't do you any good with personal edition.

Not applicable
Author

thanks for that addtnl input; got the reference doc - at 1400 pages that should give me something to chew on for awhile....

sql - forehead slap - of course one would pass thru the syntax needed by the source....

regards.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

CahabaData wrote:I don't have a reference doc with my initial exe download

I think John pointed you to where you can download it, but it should be installed with a "Complete" install at

Program Files\Qlikview\Documentation

CahabaData wrote:You suggested that I post the file - but I thought with my personal edition one can not share a file. Do I misunderstand this point?

A PE user can share a file with a licensed user, but not another PE user. I'm a licensed user, as are many others on this forum, so I can open a document you upload.

CahabaData wrote:Which brings up another in that I did download your cookbook file (thinking that it was an instruction document)....

Unfortunately, the Cookbook is not "PE enabled", which means PE users can't open it. PE Enablement is something only Qliktech can do. Sorry.

-Rob

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

CahabaData wrote:Which brings up another in that I did download your cookbook file (thinking that it was an instruction document)....

The Cookbook has now been PE enabled thanks to Jason Long. Download it again and it should work with your PE license.

-Rob