Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shanemichelon
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

NPrinting Server and Qlikview desktop Licensing

Hi Community.

I thought I'd share a problem I found and the solution.

I was having trouble getting the NPrinting server to process reports.  It was getting an error because it was trying to use Qlikview Desktop Personal.  The key cause was that I was using the same account for the Qlikview Server and NPrinting.  I created a new service account for NPrinting, then logged in with it and opened Qlikview Desktop and used Open In Server to lease a CAL.  After that the system started working correctly.

So, the key point is:

Don't use the same service account for Qlikview Server and NPrinting.  It isn't good practice anyway!

Regards,

Shane Michelon

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Andrea_Bertazzo
Support
Support

Hi Shane,

Thanks for sharing this.

In fact NPrinting Service needs a specific account that is not shared with other user or services. This account must be a machine administrator and have the property to log on as a service.

You have to assign a named user CAL manually from the QMC to this account.

The requirements for NPrinting service are specified here:

http://community.vizubi.com/knowledgebase/articles/261244-how-to-configure-nprinting-service

Help users find answers! Do not forget to mark a solution that worked for you! If already marked, give it a thumbs up ! 🙂

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Not applicable

wat is nprinting?can u pls elaborate on that?

shanemichelon
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

NPrinting is server based tool to do report generation and distribution out of Qlikview Apps.  See the product details page for an overview and detailed information:

http://www.qlik.com/us/explore/products/qlikview/nprinting

Please mark this post as helpful.

Thanks!

Andrea_Bertazzo
Support
Support

Hi Shane,

Thanks for sharing this.

In fact NPrinting Service needs a specific account that is not shared with other user or services. This account must be a machine administrator and have the property to log on as a service.

You have to assign a named user CAL manually from the QMC to this account.

The requirements for NPrinting service are specified here:

http://community.vizubi.com/knowledgebase/articles/261244-how-to-configure-nprinting-service

Help users find answers! Do not forget to mark a solution that worked for you! If already marked, give it a thumbs up ! 🙂
shanemichelon
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Yes, I was aware of the requirements, but like many people, I just did what seemed right and was caught out by using the same account.  I thought it might be handy to document it for someone else who has done this, because when it happens, there is nothing to clearly indicate the cause of the ensuing problems.

regards,

Shane Michelon.

Stephen_Jasionowski

In addition to the document that Andrea posted, here is a checklist of sort that is extremely useful when setting up NPrinting Server. In here, you will find the dedicated account requirement among others: Troubleshooting: NPrinting Server Service and Schedules – Customer Feedback for Vizubi

Not applicable

below is a section of some of the articles listed above with some key inforamtion mentioned

What needs to be installed on a developers computer?

• NPrinting Designer with an active license. You can create and modify reports and tasks using NPrinting Designer. You can easily open NPrinting documents saved on a server to create new reports and tasks or modify existing ones, even if NPrinting Server is active. Tasks can be launched manually for testing what has been developed. Jobs and Scheduled Jobs can be created and launched.
  • QlikView Local Client You need QlikView Local Client installed on the computer because NPrinting needs QlikView Local Client for connecting to QlikView documents whether on a local computer or on a remote server, opening .qvw files, and extracting data. QlikView Personal edition is not supported.
  • Microsoft Office The Office suite (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) is necessary for template developers. Office versions 2007, 2010 32 or 64 bit and 2013 32 or 64 bit are supported.

What needs to be installed on a server?

• NPrinting Server with an active license. Install NPrinting Server on a server to manage your reporting system: you need it to schedule jobs automatically, set up and run NPrinting Service and NPrinting On-Demand reporting.
  • QlikView Local Client. You need QlikView Local Client installed on the machine because NPrinting needs QlikView to connect to the server and or to open .qvw file and extract data. QlikView Personal edition is not supported.
  • Users who start NPrinting Service must have one of the following:
    • a Named user CAL on the QlikView server
    • a server Assigned leased license (not dynamically assigned)
    • a local QlikView Local Client license
    so that QlikView will be able to operate. We suggest using a Named User CAL manually assigned to the NPrinting Server Service user or a local QlikView Local Client license because when a dynamic leased license expires, the NPrinting Service stops working. Furthermore, any such user must have an administrator account and “Run as a service” privileges. Furthermore, the user must be specific to NPrinting Service. Please don’t use the same user for other purposes such as remote desktop connections or server login
yassinemhadhbi
Creator II
Creator II

Good morning,

I'm using the same account for both QlikView and NPRINTING server and i think it causes me some problemes.

If we are going to create a specific account for NPRINTING, does the qlikview account has to be deleted from the NPRINTING Server or i leave it as it is ?.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
Yassine Mhadhbi
Frank_S
Support
Support

I think the article below will answer your questions. If not please reply here once again.

But is short, yes the NPrinting server service account must be dedicated for use with NPrinting re: QlikView. So you will need to remove the QV service account used for the NPrinting server and configure a dedicate NPrinting server service account accurately for use with the NPrinting server. The information is in the article below.

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Support-Knowledge-Base/Dedicated-NPrinting-Server-amp-Engine-Service-A...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!