Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paputzback
Contributor III
Contributor III

How do I change the parent location of my container layout

Right now it looks like this

I want to change it so the container 2.Test is on the same level as 1.Development. So I can see them as 2 separate environments, not Test inside of Development. Or is it too late to fix this? And would all the Tasks need to be changed?

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

The container map is just maintaining the physical file path to Variable Prefix. is your issue that you want the paths to be the following?

SourceDocs\1.Development

SourceDocs\2.Test

if so just update the container folder path and press Update Map and create containers button.

paputzback
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I am not sure what you mean by updating the container folder path. Do you mean I should add an Alt Root Path?

And don't the tasks in publisher point to a physical location?

Also my 0.Administration container is inside of 1.Development. Shouldn't each environment have its own 0.Admin and 99.Shared, otherwise if I change a image in 99.Shared, it affects both environments.

Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Publisher Tasks do point do a physical location. There these will need to be updated.

2. The QDF helps you manage your resources from a scripting perspective not necessarily the publisher perspective. However a well planned framework makes things easier.

3. The ability of the QDF is to have any configuration as required. This is both a strength and a weakness as sometimes it is difficult to determine an appropriate structure.

For my clients Dev, Test, and Prod are always on different servers. Therefore the QDF is an exact copy. It is just the server that denotes the environment. Do it this way you do have to maintain the contain map for each environment. However if the physical paths are the same this is just a copy paste.

You could replicate this on a single server, however then the container map would need to be maintained because the physical paths are different for environment. The following structure will ensure that when you make changes in Shared in Dev it won't affect Test and Prod. Importantly you want to ensure that the prefix that is used in the script is the same in each environment. This ensures that as you migrate applications the physical path changes wont cause problems.

I.e.

..\QDF ROOT\10.Development

0.Administration

1.Example

99.Shared_Folders

..\QDF ROOT\20.Development

0.Administration

1.Example

99.Shared_Folders

..\QDF ROOT\30.Production

0.Administration

1.Example

99.Shared_Folders

paputzback
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I think I'll stick with just the two environments I have on two separate servers then.

But in your example, did you run the installer 3 times to get the setup that way? Or did you install once and then manually built the other two? If the latter, did you have to hack the admin container (csv file or other settings) to work in the new containers?

Magnus_Berg
Employee
Employee

Hi Phillip, if you have two separate environments, use the installer twice one for test and one for production, or copy your current environment into a test environment, then it becomes two separate environments. You can also have one environment and separate the "environments" by container structures like Damian suggested.
Changing your containers location within an environment is really easy, move the container (in the file system) and change the url (Container folder name) in variable editor to the new location. Allt path function is used to add containers that are located on separate physical path/disks.

Hope that this helps.

Best regards