Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Using a variable as a pivot table expression

I have a variable [vTruckCnt] set to equal the expression [SUM(UNUnitRecCnt)/7]. Please see the image below. When my chart expression is set to equal the variable [vTruckCnt], it returns the wrong numbers and basically sums the two individual numbers to give me 352.14

If I change the chart expression to the same expression [vTruckCnt] is set to equal, namely [SUM(UNUnitRecCnt)/7], it returns the proper values, those being 174.57 and 177.57

Any idea why this does not work? I want to be able to use the variable as the expression because I use it, and other expressions, many many times.

Thank you!

error loading image

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the info on the pictures... I didn't realize they were clickable in the post.

As for the variable, I have tried the following variations and nothing seems to work;

• =SUM(UNUnitRecCnt)/7
  • =(SUM(UNUnitRecCnt)/7)

Hold on a second... Well you got me looking in the right spot. As it turns out, the = sign must be removed! The correct expression to place in the variable is the following;

• SUM(UNUnitRecCnt)/7

And now it all works fine.

Thanks NMiller!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Not applicable
Author

Just trying to get a larger picture. I'll try one more time.

Not applicable
Author

Try putting an equals sign before your variable value:

=SUM(UNUnitRecCnt)/7

Then use the variable in your expression the same way you are:

$(vTruckCnt)

I believe there was a recent discussion on the board that talked about how using an equal sign or not can affect the results. I don't remember the exact details, but it is worth a try.

PS your images work fine when clicked on. I'm not sure if you can make them any bigger in the actual post.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the info on the pictures... I didn't realize they were clickable in the post.

As for the variable, I have tried the following variations and nothing seems to work;

• =SUM(UNUnitRecCnt)/7
  • =(SUM(UNUnitRecCnt)/7)

Hold on a second... Well you got me looking in the right spot. As it turns out, the = sign must be removed! The correct expression to place in the variable is the following;

• SUM(UNUnitRecCnt)/7

And now it all works fine.

Thanks NMiller!