Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Saving App Very Slow

I have an app which is taking a enormously long time to save. The app's script simply contains a binary statement to load the data. The GUI contained within the app is 95% hidden during save so charts, etc. should be inactive. There are maybe 3 text objects on the "splash" screen displayed during the save with no calculations. I've disabled compression - yet the save process can take up to 5 or more minutes to complete.

Any suggestions/ideas?

11 Replies
dionverbeke
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Actually enabling compression saves you time if you have a slow disk as there is less data to write on disk.

Are you by any chance saving to a network drive? That usually takes a long time.

Also try defragmenting your disk.

How big is the document you are trying to save?

Usually disks are saving at a speed of 20MB/s. If you have 1 Gig to save,

it will take you at least 1000/20 = 50 seconds to save.

Dion

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

How big is he file on disk when it's saved?

-Rob

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

File is right at 1 GB on disk after save. The app containing the script to build the data model is the same size (and same settings) but saves in less than 5 seconds.

settu_periasamy
Master III
Master III

Hi,

i also faced the same issue.

Can you check the below links.

QV document save - not responding

What affects the application saving time?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

settu_periasamy wrote:

Hi,

i also faced the same issue.

Can you check the below links.

QV document save - not responding

What affects the application saving time?

Me too, see second link (which I just was about to search for).

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Swuehl / settu_periasamy,

Thanks for the suggestion -however, I've seen these discussions and neither offer a solution that resolves the issue.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Try this as a debugging exercise. Binary load the data model in a new qvw with no UI elements. What's the save time of this one relative to the qvw that has UI elements?

-Rob

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Rob - following your suggestion, the save time for the test app was less than 10 seconds (compared to 5+ mins. save time for app with UI elements).

So this isolates the UI as the root cause for the slow save time - but there are no calculation driven objects visible during save...???

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Good info. what's the difference in the file size between the file saved without ui and the file saved with? Are both compression off?