cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karensmith
Contributor II
Contributor II

Section Access using windows users and Network users

I currently have an application that uses section access. User ids are related to a variable vCust. Depending on the user the objects will display data based on customer (vCust) associated to the user.

Here is my script;

Section Access;
Security:
LOAD * INLINE [
ACCESS, USERID, PASSWORD, NTNAME, DIST_ID

ADMIN, admin, xxx, *

USER, TSmith, abc, *,DIST1 ------This a local server user that will access via outside our LAN.

USER, *, *,KSmith,DIST2 ----This is a domain user that will access inside our LAN
];
Section Application;

LOAD DISTINCT DIST_ID, Resident Security;

We currently use Publisher. The application is scheduled in publisher to reload and distribute job.

If I use the 'admin' user and reload via the server development client. Application seems to be okay, but from IE the applicaitons just hangs.

What I don't understand is shoudl the network user connect to Access Point via Network profile and then log into the application. Should the network user be in the distribute list on the server? And, should the local user be in the distribute list on the server?

How should section access work when combined with Publsher and local server users and network users. What all should be configured?

11 Replies
karensmith
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I don't really understand what you mean. Should the table layout show table securtiy link to any of the other data tables?

I did change the resident load and did inline to load DIST_ID, but then I no longer see Security table in my table layout design.

Can you explain a little more. thank you.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Karen,

That's key for section access and it's called reduction field. Imagine you select the DIST_ID value manually, then go to File, Reduce Data, Keep possible values. That's what DIST_ID in section access will do anytime a user logs in. If there is no DIST_ID value in your datamodel (not in security) all data will be reduced and the user will not be able to log in.

Think about this sample:

Section Access;Security: // not needed, but useful for debugging, okLOAD * INLINE [ ACCESS, USERID, PASSWORD, SALESREP_ID ADMIN, admin, xxxx USER, KElzey, aaaa, 100 USER, KSmith, bbbb, 200]; Section Application; // meaning your "normal" loading script starts here Customers:LOAD Code, Name, Address, SALESREP_ID // Must by uppercase to be compared to the Security table fieldFROM Customers.qvd (QVD); // any other table you want to load

KElzey will see all clients for that SALESREP_ID equals to 100, while KSmith will see those with SALESREP_ID equals to 200.

If there are no Customers according to those values, both KElzey and KSmith will no be able to log into the document. If there are Customers with null or blank SALESREP_ID, these will be reduced from the document.

Hope this helps a bit further than my previous posts.