Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Variables

I have this QVW running in the server and i made an input box and also made a new variable for this input box which is called Variable1.

When i enter a value, i can see that the value i entered is there but when i close my browser and open the file in the server again the value i entered a while ago was gone..it seems to be not saving the words i input in the variable..how can i make it save the words i input into the variable so that when i close and open the server again the values are still there?

all help, suggestions and opinions are much appreciated.

Thanks!

10 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Wilnard,

Try first to create a new dummy variable using ctrl + alt + v keys and set any dummy value. Save the document, open it again and check whether the value is still stored.

But waht ti seems to me is that you are opening the document in server, you are likely not saving the document when closing. That means that all changes you have done to the document (selections, variables) will not stored into the document, unless you save it.

Is that correct?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel,

I tried the variable in my desktop and it works fine like what u suggested but my problem is that i want it to be done on the server side..

is it impossible to save a value to a variable in the server because it does not save the document? is that what your saying?

so there is no way into storing a value in a variable while accessing it in the server?

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Wilnard,

That's the behavior when opening documents on server, you can use the objects but not (among others) save it.

If you want to store that variable you will have to create some macro on change or on select for the variable, under Settings, Document Properties, Triggers, Variable Event Triggers. Even so, I don't know whether that will work.

Regards.

suniljain
Master
Master

Dear Wilnard,

I am agree with you that there is no way into storing a value in a variable whlie accessing it in the server.

reason is that there is no session management technique like cookies , reqwiting URl,session id wihch is avalilable in other web server is not available in qlikview server.

I think qliktech have to add session management feature in Qlikview Server.

Regards

Sunil Jain.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel

The only way i see this pushing through is that on a variable input i will have to save the whole file in the server to store the value..am i correct? because if this is the case then its a no go for me to do it, to avaoid having so much change going on with my file while in the server.

Hi Sunil Jain,

Thanks for you insights..i hope qliktech do something about this as it would be great to be able to store values in a variable via the server without the need of saving the document file itself.

colinh
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Wilnard, I don't know if this will be helpful to you, but variable values can be saved when a bookmark is created. On the Constraints sheet of the Input Box Properties there is a checkbox to Include in Bookmarks. If this is checked then every time a bookmark is created, the variable value is saved. When the bookmark is applied, the variable is reset to that value.

As far as achieving what you want, you could use a Variable Event Trigger to replace the bookmark every time the variable value is changed, and an On Open trigger to apply the bookmark when the document is opened.

I haven't tested that, but it should work.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Colin,

This looks like a good workaround..will try this and get back to you..

Thanks for the helpful inputs 🙂

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Colin,

Haven't thought about Bookmarks, it's worth trying.

Just a quick note: when opening in server, On Open, On Reload and On PostReload triggers will not execute, although you have set permissions for that.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel,

How to set permissions for On-Open, On-PostReload, On-PostReduce when working in server.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Venakt