Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Dimension Vs Expression

Hi all,

I work for a few months with qv, but I noticed that I know the difference between a dimension and an expression not quite clear.

Is it like a math-functions?

Each x-value is assigned to exactly one y-value but each y-value can be assigned to any number of x-values?

So x would be the dimension and y would be the expression?

It would be really nice if somebody could help me with this.

I really want to understand and I really want to have a strong basic knowledge.

Many Thanks

8 Replies
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Not exactly like a maths function.

Simply put:

Expressions are the measures or metrics, such as cost, profit, wait-time, etc that you are reporting on or interrogating.

Dimensions are the attributes you will use to filter and display the measures, such as customer, salesperson, region, product code.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Hi Philipp,

yes, dimensions and expressions are just like you learned in math. You have a dimension along the x-axis (horizontally) and an expression on the y-axis (vertical) - usually. There is an option to turn that around in QlikView so that you can make a barchart (which normally has vertical bars) go horizontally. That way, you can have a chart that has horizontal bars going to the right and to the left off a line in the middle of the screen.

The usual case, though, is the regular understanding of dimension vs expression.

For ex., you want to chart "sales volume per sales_person" - so the sales_persons (their names or IDs) will be your dimension and your expression will be sth like the sum of their respective sales figures.

HTH

Not applicable
Author

Ok, but what happens if I have something like a table with BusinessUnits and OrderNumbers...

so I think BusinessUnit could be my Dimension, because I want to know which OrderNumbers belong to my BusinessUnits, so I can filter for BusinessUnits.

But now, I have several OrderNumbers for just one BusinessUnit... in this case QV dont show me any value.

Do u know what I did wrong?!

datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Hi,

well, you can do different things in QlikView, of course.

But in that specific instance - when you have several values that should be displayed on the same dimension_point, QlikView doesn't display them in charts - only in listboxes - so you need to have a second dimension that makes this unique, so you have only one OrderNumber per dimension_point - the easiest unique dimension is a rowNo(). You can just set that field to not be displayed.

Not applicable
Author

Ok, I understand. Is this also valid if I use a Pivot Table?!

datanibbler
Champion
Champion

I have little experience with Pivot_tables, but I guess it would. It is a general thing in QlikView that for every dimensional point in a chart, QlikView needs to have exactly one value (or sum or whatever) to display.

Not applicable
Author

So I tried to use RowNo(), at created an Row ID to make the entries unique... but i do not work again

I used Row ID and BusinessUnit as Dimension and OrderNumber as Expression.

Thats the results:

2015-07-24_09h39_16.png

Ideas?!

Not applicable
Author

Ok, I found something... I just used both as dimension...expression is not always needed