Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

A question about memory

Hi,

We have recently upgraded our VM from 32GB to 128GB and just wondering if our virtual memory needs to be reduced so allow Qlikview to use more server RAM?

In Task Manager I can see that the server is never using more than 40GB so I'm pretty sure that the server will ever run out of memory with it's current usage. In QVC Statistics > Performance I can see "VMCommitted 16493". So to me this sounds like Qlikview is using 16GB of virtual memory (slow page file memory). Shouldn't it be using the available server RAM? (The available 96GB!)

Please advise..

VM Details:

Windows Server 2012 R2

Hyper-V VM

16 virtual processors

128GB RAM

Virtual memory automatically managed by OS (currently allocated 20GB)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

You don't need to reduce the size of the page file. A process cannot choose where it gets its memory from. That is determined by the OS. To a process there's only one kind of memory. The OS determines if and when a memory page is moved from (virtual) ram to a page file.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Gysbert_Wassenaar

You don't need to reduce the size of the page file. A process cannot choose where it gets its memory from. That is determined by the OS. To a process there's only one kind of memory. The OS determines if and when a memory page is moved from (virtual) ram to a page file.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand