Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Max(date) display on dashboard

Hi,

I'm just trying to have a dimension return the max date of a field and nothing else.

I wrote max([date]) and it is giving me invalid dimension. This seems pretty straightforward? What am I missing?

I also tried max(date([date]))

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It sounds like you don't want to have this as a dimension, rather as Text In Chart (found on the Presentation tab of the Chart Properties), or a Text Object (found under New Sheet Object), or as part of the Caption for the object.

When that expression is being used as a dimension QlikView is failing to deal with multiple date values being crunched into one.

You may find you also need a Date function around the expression, so that it displays correctly, i.e.;

=Date(Max(date), 'DD MMMM YYYY')

Hope that helps.

Steve

View solution in original post

7 Replies
sunny_talwar

fields are case sensitive in QV... are you sure its date and not Date or DATE?

sunny_talwar

Wait, are you using that as a dimension????

Not applicable
Author

Yes, I want it to display the maximum date in the set

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Assuming the field is named [date]:

How you are using max(date) is not clear. If you are using this in a calculated dimension, then you would possibly get this error. Please explain the context.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

I am trying to display the max (most recent) date on the dashboard so that the end user can see what date the data is from.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It sounds like you don't want to have this as a dimension, rather as Text In Chart (found on the Presentation tab of the Chart Properties), or a Text Object (found under New Sheet Object), or as part of the Caption for the object.

When that expression is being used as a dimension QlikView is failing to deal with multiple date values being crunched into one.

You may find you also need a Date function around the expression, so that it displays correctly, i.e.;

=Date(Max(date), 'DD MMMM YYYY')

Hope that helps.

Steve

Not applicable
Author

Thank you! That worked perfectly!