Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Max(date) display on dashboard

Hi,

I'm just trying to have a dimension return the max date of a field and nothing else.

I wrote max([date]) and it is giving me invalid dimension. This seems pretty straightforward? What am I missing?

I also tried max(date([date]))

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It sounds like you don't want to have this as a dimension, rather as Text In Chart (found on the Presentation tab of the Chart Properties), or a Text Object (found under New Sheet Object), or as part of the Caption for the object.

When that expression is being used as a dimension QlikView is failing to deal with multiple date values being crunched into one.

You may find you also need a Date function around the expression, so that it displays correctly, i.e.;

=Date(Max(date), 'DD MMMM YYYY')

Hope that helps.

Steve

View solution in original post

7 Replies
sunny_talwar

fields are case sensitive in QV... are you sure its date and not Date or DATE?

sunny_talwar

Wait, are you using that as a dimension????

Not applicable
Author

Yes, I want it to display the maximum date in the set

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Assuming the field is named [date]:

How you are using max(date) is not clear. If you are using this in a calculated dimension, then you would possibly get this error. Please explain the context.

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

I am trying to display the max (most recent) date on the dashboard so that the end user can see what date the data is from.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

It sounds like you don't want to have this as a dimension, rather as Text In Chart (found on the Presentation tab of the Chart Properties), or a Text Object (found under New Sheet Object), or as part of the Caption for the object.

When that expression is being used as a dimension QlikView is failing to deal with multiple date values being crunched into one.

You may find you also need a Date function around the expression, so that it displays correctly, i.e.;

=Date(Max(date), 'DD MMMM YYYY')

Hope that helps.

Steve

Not applicable
Author

Thank you! That worked perfectly!