Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Is Qlikview Desktop and Development Environment Different?

Hi,

I have given estimation for 3 different environments installed in 1x2 VMs (DEV,QA and PROD).But the suggestion came as 2 QVs and one test server. So the sizing came for QA and PROD and for Qlikview Desktop. Qlikview Desktop means the development Server?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
maxgro
MVP
MVP

1) How are we going to have licensed version in Qlikview Desktop?

if you have a server with named licenses (QlikView production server as you can lease from a Qlik prod non from a Qlik test; ask QlikView for the difference (price, etc, ....) prod vs test) you can lease the license from the server and use for 30 days (then connect to the server for another 30 days)

2) Once Dashboards are developed ,How are we going to have that tested, is it something like placing the dashboard in test server and testing it?

Yes. Also the Dashboard developer can do some (a lot) of testing in the Desktop.

When the dashboard is developed, you can deploy the Dashboard (Qlikview document .qvw) on the server, give permissions to users, reload (load in the dashboard the data from database, files, ...), etc.....)

Then the test users open the Dasboard (in the browser or in the browser with IE plugin or with the Desktop (open in server)) and test it.

Deploy is a copy of the Dashboard from the pc (where it was developed with QlikView desktop) to the server.

3)So we can also directly test in QA once the dashboards are developed in Qlikview Desktop..

You can deploy and test the Dasboard on the server you want (QA, DEV, PROD, Acceptance, etc, .....).

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Qlikview Desktop is the desktop application used to develop qlikview documents. Qlikview Desktop is not Qlikview Server.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
maxgro
MVP
MVP

QlikView desktop is the tool to develop documents (dashboart, report, etl)

Server is needed to give the users access to the documents (usually with a browser) in the different enironments (DEV, QA, PROD)

see attachment, pag 5,6,7

Not applicable
Author

Hi

Thanks for the replies !!!

As I see in my Quotation,the hardware specifications for Qlikview Server and Qlikview Publisher has been done only for Production and QA and sizing for Qlikview Desktop(No QVS mentioned) ...What about Development Environment?

Not applicable
Author

Kindly let me know your thoughts !!!

maxgro
MVP
MVP

The presence / absence of the development server depends by many things (money, amount of data, requirements, etc ...).

Sometimes it does not mind having the development server.

Sometimes I used the same server (or server groups) x 2 environments (I assume DEV QA) differentiating the folder of DEV and QA.

Please also understand that with QlikView desktop (which often is on a PC, not on the server) you can develop and testing throughout the document and that under certain conditions (eg amount of data manageable from the PC used in development) you can avoid the development server.

It's quite difficult to answer, probably talking to the partner that follows you or a QlikView representative can clarify these issues.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Thanks for your replies !!!

So Development Environment doesn't mean necessarily to have Development Server(QV Server).we can have just Qlikview Desktop.

2) Once Dashboards are developed ,How are we going to have that tested, is it something like placing the dashboard in test server and testing it?

3)So we can also directly test in QA once the dashboards are developed in Qlikview Desktop..

maxgro
MVP
MVP

if you have a server with named licenses (QlikView production server as you can lease from a Qlik prod non from a Qlik test; ask QlikView for the difference (price, etc, ....) prod vs test) you can lease the license from the server and use for 30 days (then connect to the server for another 30 days)

Yes. Also the Dashboard developer can do some (a lot) of testing in the Desktop.

When the dashboard is developed, you can deploy the Dashboard (Qlikview document .qvw) on the server, give permissions to users, reload (load in the dashboard the data from database, files, ...), etc.....)

Then the test users open the Dasboard (in the browser or in the browser with IE plugin or with the Desktop (open in server)) and test it.

Deploy is a copy of the Dashboard from the pc (where it was developed with QlikView desktop) to the server.

You can deploy and test the Dasboard on the server you want (QA, DEV, PROD, Acceptance, etc, .....).

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the reply !!

Ok.so as my Hardware specifications offer mentions QV Server and QV Publisher only for QA and PROD,

and Hardware specification given for Qlikview Desktop,we No need to install QV Server separately for development Environment where my Qlikview desktop is... and it also applies if we have separate boxes as well for all the three environments.Correct? so the steps here:

1) Develop the dashboards in Qlikview Desktop

2) Place the Dashboard in Source folder pointing to QA for testing

3) Distribute through QMC and publisher

4) Move to Production.

Kindly Confirm...

maxgro
MVP
MVP

yes, this could be a way