Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jasonwills
Contributor II
Contributor II

Data Manipulation on Import

Hi All,

I have been following some threads on here on importing data into Qlik, and so far it is great (am new to all of this.)

However, I have come up against something I'm not sure how to do, so was hoping someone can help..

When importing the data, it is coming from excel - the text in question has some text in brackets at the end of the cell e.g.

Testing123 (test)

what I'm trying to achieve is when I import data, it drops the brackets, so I will only get Testing123 - I know this is possible in excel, but I am trying to avoid manipulating the data in excel, as there are other things going on with it, so am trying to do it on import.

I will keep looking, but if anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Many Thanks

Jason

4 Replies
m_woolf
Master II
Master II

=replace(replace(Field,'(',''),')','')

jasonwills
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi All,

just letting you know that I have found a way that works for me - and the way that my data is - if anybody knows of a better way then I am happy to look at it, but thought I would just pop this on there.

Trim(SubField(Field,'(',1)) as SalesRep,

The above works, but as mentioned, with my data.

@M Woolf - your answer just popped in as I was typing this - many thanks, I shall try that now.

Regards

Jason

m_woolf
Master II
Master II

My example won't work for you. I thought that when you said you wanted to drop the brackets, that you wanted to keep the text inside. My expression would result in:  Testing123 test

jasonwills
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Ahh, OK, many thanks, I guess your way is the same as PurgeChar()?

Thanks all the same, I learn something new everyday.

Jason